Kruger National Park Stories and Tips

The Londolozi Model

Outdoor shower at Londolozi Photo, Kruger National Park, South Africa

The greatness of Londolozi is that the animals are in their own home and the people are visitors. Every effort is made to reduce the impact of people, increase the well-being of animals and give work and educational opportunities to the local people of the district.

What is called the 'Londolozi Model' works so well it has been copied all over the world. Famous for saving leopards, the people at Londolozi take care of all the animals. Described in 'hectars', the size of the free range of the animals is huge.

Londolozi requires visitors who are willing to spend a lot of money for the experience of seeing the animals. The price varies with the season, but is about $700 per person at this time. That price includes everything you need except some alcoholic drinks. You also must tip and tip well. You make up one tip envelop with the contents divided among all the staff including all the people you don't meet. We choose to tip our Ranger and Tracker separately. That is OK.

After you visit Londolozi, all you want is for it to succeed.

Take a deep breath and realize that you get a great deal for your money. Obviously many fine animals are protected from poachers. In a nation with terrible unemployment, the CC Africa properties offer good jobs to many people. Many educational opportunities and job improvements are offered to staff.

We shared our game drives with other people in our camp, a total of 5 in our Land Rover. When I go back, I would like to book at least 2 private drives with a focus on the type of photography I want to do. If I want to wait for the light to change, I want to be able to do it. Private drives are extra charge and must be booked when you book your basic reservation.

The animals we saw included but were not limited to, the Big 5, lion, rhino, Cape buffalo, elephant and leopard. Most especially we saw giraffes, all sorts of bird, hippos, herds of all sorts of light footed creatures, and zebra. Plenty plenty!

A visit to Londolozi will change your life. I promise.