Written by Wildcat Dianne on 06 Oct, 2007
Trencin, Slovakia is one of the oldest cities in Slovakia, if not Europe, too. Physical evidence of Trencin dates from c. 38,000 B.C., but the first written history of Trencin doesn't appear in books until the late 12th century. On one of the…Read More
Trencin, Slovakia is one of the oldest cities in Slovakia, if not Europe, too. Physical evidence of Trencin dates from c. 38,000 B.C., but the first written history of Trencin doesn't appear in books until the late 12th century. On one of the Castle rocks, there is a Roman inscription from 179 A.D. dating from wars between the Roman Empire and the Germanic Quadi tribe and shows one that the Romans settled as far as Slovakia during this time. It was known by the Greek name of Leukaristos and has been known by several other names during centuries of foreign rule. Under Austrian and German rule, Trencin was known as Trentschin, and the Hungarians called Trencin Trencsen.
After the 12th century, Trencin became the administrative center of Trencin County, and Trenciansky Hrad (The Castle) was built during this time. From 1302-1321, Trencin was under the rule of Matus Csak, a powerful nobleman, who defied King Charles' rule with his large court and own foreign policy.
During the Protestant Reformation in Europe in the 16th Century, Trencin was a center of the Counter-Reformation and several Catholic sects settled here and founded churches here. In the early 18th Century, Trencin was decimated by war, fire, and the Black Plague and went under a huge restoration and reconstruction. Most of the buildings in Trencin today date from this time.
Trencin flourished during the 19th century when the railroad was built through the city to take people to Bratislava and points beyond. The Industrial Revolution brought textile, food, and machine industries to Trencin and became a center of industry and culture.
In 1939, Trencin became part of the Slovak Puppet Government under the control of Monsignor Josef Tiso, and was the capital of Trencin County. The Puppet Government ran Trencin until August 1944, when the Slovak National Uprising began. After the Uprising was squashed by the Nazis in October, Trencin fell under German occupation, and the Gestapo and SD established a prison camp and headquarters here.
Trencin was liberated by Soviet and Romanian troops on 10 April 1945, about a month before World War II ended, and thus began over 40 years of Communist rule in Trencin and Slovakia, but years of restoration by the people of Trencin kept the city in its original shape. In 1989, the Velvet Revolution hit Czechoslovakia and freed the country from Communist rule. In 1990, Trencin became the County seat for the Trencin Region and District, and in 1993, the Velvet Divorce that split Czechoslovakia into two separate nations brought Trencin to Slovakia.