Earlier this month, Continental became the last US airline to say sayonara to its complimentary in-flight meals. So what freebies are left to nosh on as you log long hours in the air? Snacks only, if--and only if--you're flying with an airline that even still offers those! Prepare to settle for the complimentary beverage service, or learn the laws of BYO: bring your own or buy your own. In the meantime, here's the breakdown of who's still handing out free munchies:
- AirTran: Pretzels or cookies
- Alaska Airlines: Snack mix or Cougar Mountain cookies (on longer flights only)
- Delta: Pretzels, cookies, or peanuts
- JetBlue: Chips, cashews, animal crackers, and other assorted snacks (unlimited!)
- Horizon Air (a Pacific-Northwest carrier): Regional wine or microbrew (okay, these technically aren't snacks, but they're unique--and still free!)
- Midwest Airlines: Warm chocolate chip cookies (on flights after 10 am only)
- United: Pretzel or cookies
- Southwest: Peanuts, pretzels, and Nabisco snacks (on select flights)
Don't see your favorite carrier? Likely, they serve some sort of food or snacks for a fee only. And of course, if you're lucky enough to be holding a first class or business class ticket, freebies like food and beverages are often still yours for the taking--so eat up!
Bottom line, don't starve yourself. In response to the airlines' lack of food options, airports are boosting the quality of their own offerings. Samepenny says of the Pour La France Café at Denver International Airport, "In these days of poor to awful airline food (or no food at all) this restaurant is a blessing. I was saved by a bowl of chicken soup and divine French bread." Now that actually sounds good.
Ready to brave the skies armed with snacks from home?
Compare Flights on IgoUgo
Posted by SpecialK3883 (Kelly L. Phillips)
Comment by rts2000 on October 28, 2010
I had the good fortune of being upgraded to a bulkhead seat on a recent Virgin America flight... they are "all you can eat and drink" seats, which was super fabulous! Anything on their menu of meals, snacks, drinks, etc. was included... plus, extra legroom! I highly recommend...!