London Stories and Tips

London Free Walking Tour

Downtown London Photo, London, England

When visiting a new city, there may be several sites of interest which you'd like to see, and if you're short on time, a guided tour may be your best bet. In cities like London, there are so many different types of tours to book, that it may seem rather overwhelming. I definitely felt this way while doing research online prior to arriving to the city, and I finally decided to simply make up my mind once I arrived instead of booking ahead.

As it turned out, I made the right decision. I met a lady in the lobby of my guesthouse who said she was waiting for a representative of London's Free Walking Tours to collect her. I asked her for more details, and found out that the tour gathers many visitors in the centre of the city at a specified location, splits the visitors into small groups and takes them on a walk around the city, stopping at various highlights and famous sites along the way.

The price isn't set, and visitors are encouraged to pay the amount that they see fit for the level of service they received. On hearing this, I was slightly doubtful as to the quality of this activity, but decided to join her to see for myself. It turned out being a great decision. We had an awesome group leader who managed to keep her group of thirty all together as we crossed countless streets.

I visited Buckingham Palace, the London Eye, Big Ben and other places of interest. During our walk between stops, we were told various stories about London and various facts or interest. I learned the history behind Guy Fawkes Night which I honestly had no idea about before the tour.

The tour lasted about two to three hours, and ended with us grabbing lunch and a few beers at a well known pub called 'The Old Monk'. For a day which started out unplanned, I felt like I was able to get a nice overview of London City. Most hostels and guesthouses have flyers for the tour or information can be sourced online. I definitely recommend!