Rota Stories and Tips

Through The Gates of the Mediterranean

Gibraltar  Photo, Rota, Spain

After my one-day stop at Rota, Spain, the ship continued to set sail towards east. The ship’s destination was to pass through the Straits of Gibraltar and enter into the Mediterranean Sea.

Straits of Gibraltar
This body of water connects the Atlantic Ocean to the Mediterranean Sea. Sailing through this part of the world is an amazing and unique experience. Nowhere in the world will you be able to witness two continents- Europe and Africa- at the same time. This area of the world has picturesque views of both continents, so make sure you bring a camera if you travel through this area by boat. I had the pleasure of gaining the opportunity to see the striking difference of both continents. For example, when I saw Morocco, I saw land that had both mountains and deserts. Even so, when you see Spain, you see mountains, but it seemed to be lusher compared to Morocco. The most interesting site to see by boat is the Rock of Gibraltar. This piece of land is owned by the British and has been for quite some time. When I saw the Rock of Gibraltar, I imagined the many sea battles that would take place to own this piece of land for its tactical advantages in the many wars. The Rock of Gibraltar is amazing to view either by day or especially during the night when the lights are on. As my ship passed the strait, it entered in the Mediterranean Sea.

Mediterranean Sea
The body of water is one of the calmest bodies of water that I have experienced on any ship. The water always seems calm and crystal-blue clear; I could see some sea animals such as dolphins in the water. The weather was very nice and temperate- I would always stand outside for at least two hours to look out into the sea. There were some days that the sea would be flat like glass. Regardless, the water was beautiful to look.
Just like when the ship was going through the Strait of Gibraltar, I would imagine the many sea battles that would take place. As I sailed in the sea, I would think of the many historical nicknames for this body of water such as the Roman Lake. When Rome had a powerful navy and controlled the Mediterranean Sea, the name Roman Lake was given to it because Rome controlled many of the lands that border this sea; therefore, Rome controlled the sea for trading purposes.
As I continued through the Mediterranean Sea, I would eventually stop at Cyprus and then through the Suez Canal!