United Kingdom Stories and Tips

FLYING FROM ESSEX

Frankie & Benny's Photo, Essex, England

Stansted Airport is one of London’s international airports, although it is located in the county of Essex. It is smaller than both Gatwick and Heathrow airports but still has many good facilities.

I find that it isn't as easy to find a flight from this airport to as many destinations as for example Gatwick but it is my chosen airport if at all possible. I would pay more for a package holiday or flight from this airport as it cuts down on travelling time taxi fares are cheaper than if I were making my way to Gatwick airport, in Sussex.

From my home it only takes thirty to forty minutes to drive to Stansted, if travelling outside of rush hour. In fact, even in rush hour it’s much quicker for me to get to this airport than to Gatwick and I feel that there is less likelihood of traffic problems en route as the roads nearby aren't under as much traffic pressure as at Gatwick and Heathrow.

We usually choose to travel to the airport by taxi but there are good transport links by rail and coach, short and long term car parking facilities and also many hotels in the vicinity.
I also prefer this airport to Gatwick because of its smaller size. I think this makes things generally less stressful. It is easier to know your whereabouts and reassuring to know that a shorter time is needed to reach ones departure gates than at larger airports.
The airport has one terminal and from this 22.8 million people fly every year from one of the forty-one airlines that use this airport. This terminal is well equipped, in my opinion, with shops, chemists, duty free, bars and restaurants, a chapel, internet access points, a bureau de change outlet, conference rooms and an information desk.

The airport, once through security, offers choices for refreshments such as: Frankie & Benny's Frankie & Benny's Deli, Costa (coffee), O’Neill’s, Pret A Manger, J.D.Wetherspoons and many more. But we did find once (when our evening flight departing to Cyprus a few years ago was delayed then after security) all that remained open just after eleven p.m. was Costa coffee and J.D.Wetherspoons and at this time Wetherspoons wasn’t serving food any hot food. By midnight our flight was the only one waiting to depart.

I find facilities here are good; there are plenty of toilets including disabled adapted and nappy changing facilities.

The airport has facilities for assistance and this can be arranged beforehand with individual airlines. Wheelchairs can be obtained for use in the airport on entering the airport building. Just some of the other perhaps useful access facilities are:

• Induction loops for hard of hearing passengers
• Easy wheelchair access
• Low level information monitors for ease of vision
• The airport directional signs are black on yellow to aid the partially sighted
• Lifts

When on an incoming flight to Stansted Airport then, again it seems less chaotic than Gatwick Airport.