London Stories and Tips

Kensington Palace and cream tea

Tea at the Orangery Photo, London, England

After visiting Buckingham Palace we took a cab to the gate of Kensington Garden. I have to admit, considering the amount of pain I was in; I was not too enthused to have to walk through the park up to the Palace. There really isn’t an alternative that we knew of so I bit the bullet and did the walk. This is not a terrible walk normally. It is uphill but not too steep and for healthy, two legged people, this is easy.

By the time we got to the palace, I really needed to get off my leg for a bit and this coincided nicely with tea time at the Orangery. I will issue a warning; tea at the Orangery is expensive, very expensive about $40 a head. There is a small casual café in the Palace but there is no comparison. We chose the Orangery.

We were seated at our table with starched white linen and presented with the choices of tea. We chose the English Breakfast and we each received a pot and then our three tiered tray with the goodies. There were the sandwiches, two scones with clotted cream and jam and the sweets covered the top. It was more than we could finish and I carried the sweets around with me in my purse for a snack later back at the hotel. After taking drugs for my knee, I was ready to hit the pavement again.

We walked over to Kensington Palace. The last time we were here, Princess Margaret had just died and we were able to see a couple of the rooms that were a part of her suite of rooms. Those are now closed and have been included in the apartment that Prince William and Kate will occupy.

One of the things I love about visiting Kensington Palace is that it is never the same. This is at least my 5th visit and every time there has been new and interesting things to see and do. The same is true now. If you think you remember you way around, forget what you remember, it is different. It is warmer and friendlier here and there is even a room where there are a few uniforms that you can try on if you have always wondered what you would look like as an officer or a gentleman.

The rooms that were used by Princess Victoria are even more interesting than before and everything has been displayed better and in a more interactive way. A very successful update in my opinion. Entrance is not inexpensive but well worth the price. The gift store is much nicer here than at Buckingham Palace and there are some really great books for sale if you want to know more.