San Diego Stories and Tips

San Diego Sojourn

Last weekend we drove to San Diego, California to attend the annual December Nights celebration at Balboa Park. We do not go out in the evening very often so this was a big thing for us. We had attended this event several years ago and had fond memories so wanted to go back. We were not disappointed.

San Diego has the best weather of any city in the USA. Many people wonder how we can feel like it is the holidays when we do not have snow. Ask those people on the other side of the equator. Also see how we enjoyed the spirit of the holiday season with thousands of other people in San Diego.

All 17 of the museums at Balboa Park are open these two evenings for free. We managed to go into only one. There were too many things to distract us. There were musicians playing all over, carolers singing here and there. Food vendors tempted our palettes at every turn.

Of course the decorations and the lights made it all magical. It was a wonderful evening. The rest of the weekend was lovely as well.

Just when we started to forget the holidays, something like this tree would be there to remind us.

Or these wreaths.

These were at Old Town State Historic Park, one of our favorite places. Then there was the tree in our hotel lobby.

I was really getting into the spirit by this time. Then we took a ride up to Point Loma and Cabrillo National Monument. From there we could overlook the sea meeting the city. The Pacific was dotted with sailboats on this fine December day.

As we entered the restaurant where we had dinner, we were treated to a show by the original Silverman of San Diego.

He moved so well that of course he got a tip.

Here's a nighttime view of downtown. And another

These are taken with my digital camera. I am unfamiliar with taking photos at night, so bear with me.

So that was our sojourn to San Diego. I hope you can visit there some day, if you haven't already. It is a wonderful city that we have loved for many years.

Happy Travels and Happy Holidays!