Nashville Stories and Tips

Antique Shopping in Brown County

Bloomington Antique Mall Photo, Nashville, Indiana

Always check the brochure rack in your hotel lobby. In amongst the waterpark, miniture golf and biggest ball of twine suggestions you may find something unique. This trip we found a lovely art gallery and a brochure titled "Antique Locator Nashville Indiana."

In brief the art gallery is called "The Brown County Art Gallery" and is located on the East end of Main Street. There is a large parking area which is free and admission is free, or free-will offering. Brown County has been an artist's colony for many many years, this gallery holds a quality collection made up of current works and early pieces. The four of us wandered the several rooms at our own pace and then met up near the lobby. We all had a favorite we had to share with the others. That is a sure sign of a good collection.

The anitque guide listed eight stores or malls.
1. We visited The Brown County Antique Mall on the way to Gnawbone, across from the state park. This shop included a log cabin seperate from the main building. Both places loaded with a wide selection. My joy was two more Blenko water jug for my collection.
2. A store front shop in Morgantown, Antique Co-op, had less do-dads and more structural or odd ball items. For example, my husband bought an MG steering wheel. We enjoyed chatting with the owner.
3. In town just off Van Buren, the main business street, we visited Brown County Clocks and Collectibles. Another shop next door is Wandering past. The constant clicking in the clock store could drive a person crazy, but they did have some very nice choices.
4. We day tripped to Bloomington, IN the home of the University of Indiana. Before lunch we spent a parking meter's worth of time in the Bloomington Antique Mall at 311 West 7th Street. Three floors of assorted quality antiques. The treasure I found was too big to transport in our van or to display in our home, but I visited it 3 times while in the store!
5. After lunch at the Scholar's Inn Bakehouse, we found in a nearby neighborhood the Second Avenue Antique Mall at 222 W 2nd Street. Free parking here.

There were more shops listed on the brochure, but by this time I was ready to look at that kitchen store on the Courthouse Square, Goods for Cooks, where I could buy bright shiny gadgets.