Orlando Stories and Tips

Discovering Mickey's Not So Boring at Hollywood Studios

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Photo, Orlando, Florida

On our second morning at Walt Disney World, we received another wake up call from Mickey and what do you know, he left more jibbitz for our Crocs too! Quick breakfast in the room again and we were off to Hollywood Studios early for rope drop where we were about 5th at a turnstile on the left watching for the Hollywood & Vine breakfast line to switch over to a regular one. We had been planning to head straight to Toy Story Midway Mania, a ride that makes you feel like you’re in a video game, but the kids and my husband were really itching for some thrill rides. So instead of all of us starting out at Toy Story Mania and grabbing fastpasses as well, I headed there for fastpasses, warning them that we would probably only get to ride it once because it’s so popular and lines get so long there. They headed to Rock’n’Roller Coaster. By the time I got back there, they had finished ride one and gotten back on.
Afterward, my husband, my daughter, & I went on Tower of Terror, which takes you up 13 stories then drops you down, back up, and down again. A computer changes the ride every time so you never know how many floors you’ll drop or go back up. They rode it again but I opted out. We then headed over to Toy Story which was so much fun. Really wish we’d gone twice. Next up was Star Tours, a simulated Star Wars ride.
Then the boys headed to the 11:30 Indiana Jones show and the girls’ day ran into a snag for the moment. We headed to the Beauty and the Beast show, where there was a huge line. In a moment a CM came out and told us there were technical difficulties and the show was probably going to be cancelled and let us know in 5 minutes. "Should we stick around?" asks mom. "Nah. Let’s go to the Little Mermaid." I thought we got there before the crowd. We waited and when they stopped letting people in, we were 3 or 4 back from the front. Next show, 12:10. We planned to leave at noon for our break. So we shopped a little and got some photopass pictures until the boys finished. They really enjoyed their show.
We took our break, had some pooltime, then headed back to Hollywood Studios around 3:30. We saw the Lights, Motors, Action! Show, a stunt show featuring Lightning McQueen, which my son just loved, then checked out the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground for a little while.
We then went to our 50s PrimeTime Café ADR early. My husband really enjoyed this. He LOVED their fried chicken. Mom & I had the pot roast which we liked a lot too. Also really enjoyed the chocolate shake.
Afterward, we walked right on the Great Movie Ride, then got some more photopass pictures.
The highlight of the day, of course, was Fantasmic, a lights & fireworks nighttime extravaganza starring Mickey as the hero against all the bad guys from Disney movies, after which my son declared, "I thought Mickey was boring until tonight!"
We left to rest up for the next day’s trek around the globe at Epcot’s World Showcase.