New York Stories and Tips

My new York City Top Five

New York Skyline Photo, New York, New York

There is so much to see and do in New York, but here is my top 5 things that you have to see and do whilst you are there:

1. Go Up The Empire State Building

The Empire State Building is probably the most famous of all the mega famous things in New York City and is well worth a trip up to the top. The views are absolutely outstanding, even on a not so clear day. We loved looking straight down the side of the building to get an idea of just how high up you are. Tickets aren’t as expensive as we thought they’d be – it’s about twenty dollars per person to get up to the top. There are queues, but don’t be fooled by the reps who try to sell you tickets to get to the front of the queue. They told us the queue was two hours at least and we only ended up waiting about thirty minutes, which we thought was a bit naughty really.

2. Get a helicopter ride over the city

It isn’t cheap, but it is fantastic. I think we paid about a hundred dollars each and we got a twenty five minute sightseeing flight over the city. The helicopters are very modern and very comfortable and they have glass sides so that you can see absolutely everything. If you are a bit nervous, you probably shouldn’t sit next to the window, because it is quite hair raising went the helicopter banks to the side! We got some fabulous photos of the city skyline, the Statue of Liberty and the Hudson River. I’d definitely recommend it.

3. Shop, Shop and Shop!

You can literally find everything and anything in New York – Manhattan has got to be the shopping capital of the world and for good reason. I loved the huge department stores; Macy’s, Bloomingdale’s and Saks Fifth Avenue are all world famous names and have a mind boggling amount of things in them. Expect to shopping with thousands of other people at any time of the day, but it is worth it – and don’t forget to pick up a small / medium / large brown bag from Bloomingdale’s!!

4. See a Show

Broadway is famous the world over and, as a result, has some fantastic shows and you really should try to see one whilst you are there. There is something for everyone – there are musicals, comedies, dramas and everything in between. We actually went to see The Addams Family which was nothing short of brilliant and I’d highly recommend it – great cast (including Brooke Shields as Morticia Addams), great stage design and great story.
Tickets for Broadway shows aren’t cheap – you can get cheaper shows at off-Broadway theatres – but there are ways to reduce the price if you really want to see one. There is a cut price ticket booth in the centre of Times Square where you can get up to 50% off any shows that have seats left, which is great if you aren’t particularly bothered which show you see, but you do have to queue and the wait can be quite long. We actually picked up a flier from one of the guys on the street which gave us 50% off without the queues – definitely worth looking out for!

5. Walk

You’ll need some comfy shoes, but it’ll be worth it. We loved walking along the narrow streets and just looking upwards at the inconceivably tall buildings everywhere. And everywhere you look there is something else to see, whether it is an overfilled shop front or a world famous statue or building. We loved walking around Central Park, which is a wonderful oasis of natural beauty in the middle of this super busy city.

These are just a few of the many things there are to do in New York. If I had the time I could do a list of 50 and still not cover everything, but if you only have a couple of days there, you should definitely do the above!