Kuala Lumpur Stories and Tips

Here to There in Kuala Lumpur

Sky rail in Kuala Lumpur Photo, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Kuala Lumpur is a large city in Malaysia with several distinct neighbours. For tourists planning on exploring the city independently, there are several options available to get from one place to another. These methods are outlined below:

The Metro:
This transportation option proved to be invaluable during my time in Kuala Lumpur. The metro runs throughout the entire city, with convenient stops nearby to most of the attractions. For visitors like myself without a pass, the best option is to pay as you go. To do this, you must buy your tickets from the booth rather than using a machine. The metro was very affordable, and most of my tickets were purchased for less than 2 Malaysian Ringgit which isn't even a dollar in USD. Most of the metros run over the city, so in addition to being transported, you actually get great views too.

Taxis:
Taxis are not the best way to get around in Kuala Lumpur, but if it's late at night or you did a considerable amount of shopping, it might be your safest bet. Taxis can be flagged down at just about any point in the city, but keep in mind that there are several different charges that may be applied to your base fare. Fees are charged for baggage and if the taxi gets stuck in traffic. There is no set fare, and taxis have been known to rip off unsuspecting visitors.

Bus:
The bus system in Kuala Lumpur is quite extensive and affordable. It's not as easy to get around with the bus as with the metro, but asking locals for advice will set you on the right path. Bus stops are located all over the city, and I never had to wait long for a bus to arrive.

On Foot:
I would say that Kuala Lumpur is favourable for pedestrians. There are sidewalks on most of the streets, and it's safer to cross the streets there than in other countries in SE Asia such as Vietnam. Crossing highways was trickier, and one must move very fast as lulls in traffic don't occur frequently. I did quite a bit of walking during my trip and I didn't have any problems. If I couldn't find my way, the locals were more than willing to point me in the right direction. Tip: Bring an umbrella with you if you're going to be walking. Kuala Lumpur seemed to rain everyday and I was unfortunate enough to get drenched!

Getting To/From the Airport
The airport was located about an hour's drive away from downtown Kuala Lumpur. I was travelling alone, so it made sense for me to use public transportation to make the journey. After leaving the departures hall, I followed the signs to the bus stop and caught a large shuttle to Kuala Lumpur for 35 Malaysian Ringgit.

With a bit of advance planning, Kuala Lumpur doesn't have to be an expensive destination to get around in. If you can't figure out the public transportation, a local will be willing to help you.