Budapest Stories and Tips

Budapest: Day 4

Hungarian National Opera House in Budapest Photo, Budapest, Hungary

We took the bus again over to Castle District located in the Buda side of the city. This time we explored the other half of the hill that we didn’t get to see the day before. At this point I was definitely certain this was my absolute favorite section of Budapest. We enjoyed strolling through cobble stone streets and popping into cafes to escape the heat but mostly to eat gelato… :)

It’s also very hard to miss seeing the gorgeous Buda Castle. It’s gigantic and beautiful with open courtyards, beautiful flowers, and stunning views of the city down below. These days the castle is known as the Hungarian National Gallery. The gallery isn’t extremely interesting but it’s worth paying to go inside just so you can climb to the top and see the views of the city that I mentioned before. Walking around the outside of the castle/gallery is exciting enough and you still see some beautiful views, you’re just higher up if you go inside to the top… so if you want to save money, I’d skip going inside.

After seeing as much of the Castle District as we possibly could, we hopped back on the bus back to Pest. We arrived at the Hungarian State Opera house at around 3:15 which was perfect because the last English tour of the day was at 4 so we decided to buy tickets and wait for that. It was around $15 for the 1 hour tour and it was completely worth it! We paid a little extra to see a short performance at the end of the tour which was great as well. I’m such a Phantom of the Opera nerd so being in any kind of opera house was exciting for me. Every room was so incredibly lavish and beautiful. We even got to go into one of the royal boxes which was fun. The English guides were great and they keep the groups small which is nice. I’d definitely recommend going to the Opera House if you go to Budapest! English tours are at 3 and 4 pm every day.

I honestly can’t remember how we spent the rest of our evening… the days are starting to blur together! It probably involved eating at another adorable cafe… I was blown away with how many great cafes and restaurants there are in this city. Watch out Paris, you’ve got competition.