Samut Prakan Stories and Tips

All aboard with the locals

Drum Roll Please Photo, Samut Prakan, Thailand

Phra Samut Chedi is a 5-minute boat ride from Samut Prakan (aka Paknam) Pier a short distance south from Bangkok. Originally on an island, if you will, in the middle of the Chao Prayer River, silt deposits on the western side connect it to the land. When you arrive by boat, the wall that keeps the Chedi from being engulf in the waters is evident.

Puttawarat just across the street is a monastery for monks. I was both enchanted and envious of the environs. Not only were the meditation halls magnificent and certainly beckoning the meditative soul, but the living quarters were fabulous. They were small, spartanly decorated two story houses that overlooked a stream and surround by gorgeous plants.

I had learned that a family with a son that does service as a monk is blessed and revered in the community. However, this was a bit deflated to me when I discovered the time spent as a monk was only a month. I think I could force myself to endure eliminating certain activities and spending my time meditating here.