Grenadines Stories and Tips

The ship- the Royal Clipper

Sails at night Photo, Grenadines, St. Vincent and the Grenadines

Ship
We had been on a cruise with Star Clippers before, so we knew what to expect. The ship holds about 220 passengers, but there were only about 160 on our cruise. I don’t think the ship would have felt crowded if it were full, but it was definitely nice that it wasn’t full. The bars and restaurants were never crowded and we never had to wait for a table at dinner or even wait in much of a line at the buffet breakfasts and lunches. The dining room was beautiful—more ornate than on the Star Flyer. There were plenty of lounge chairs on deck—even plenty in the shade and lots of areas on deck to get away from it all if you wanted. There were three pools. We really enjoyed the sail away each night—watching them hoist the sails to some dramatic music. We did not get the opportunity to do any of the watersports off of the platform, but people we spoke with who did enjoyed it. Sunsets from the ship were gorgeous!

Cabin
We were in a category 3 room. The bed was comfortable (two twins pushed together), and larger than I remembered. Toiletries were provided, except for hair conditioner, so make sure to bring your own. (I needed lots of conditioner after all the tangles from snorkeling!)

Food
Overall we enjoyed the food on the ship. Breakfast and lunch were buffet. Breakfasts were my favorite meal. The omelets were great! The omelet chef actually remembered me from our Star Flyer trip two and a half years ago. What a great memory! Lunch buffets were usually themed, for instance there were Italian, Seafood and Creole days. The quality of the food was good for lunch. The dinner menu changed each night, and they always offered a steak and pasta dish if you didn’t like the other offerings. Probably my favorite thing that I ate was the swordfish. When they had filet mignon, that was of good quality too. One day at lunch they had a chocolate cheesecake, which was really more like a warm mousse and it was my favorite dessert of the trip. My husband’s favorite was the veal dish. One night they did not have any desserts that I liked, so I asked if they had any of the straciatella ice cream left over from the previous night that I could have. And they did! I thought that was great service. They also had afternoon and midnight snacks. We were never out for the midnight snack, but did go to the afternoon snack a few times. I’d usually just have a cookie or two, but my husband enjoyed things like tacos, meatballs and wings.

Service
Our cabin steward was great! The room was always spotless when we returned to it. He also made a cute towel monkey and turtle. He knew our names and always greeted us when we would see him around the ship. Service in the dining room and bars was good, one night they got me the dessert that was offered the previous night. The cruise director was very nice and always tried to answer our questions.

Passengers
We were some of the youngest passengers on the ship (30’s), but we met some very interesting people of all ages. There was a good mix of nationalities- many British and some other Europeans as well as Americans and Canadians. We really enjoyed socializing with everyone on the ship and listening to some great travel stories!

Some things to consider-

This cruise is very different from a big ship cruise—and we liked that. There is not as much waiting and herding. It goes to some great ports, many of which the bigger ships just cannot get into. In some ports it offers a tender both to town and the beach which was really convenient. They also had a great snorkeling trip in St. Lucia from the tender, which only cost 1 Euro per person (because it was a marine park)—and that ended up being some of the best snorkeling of the trip!

Activities- They do have some evening entertainment- talent show, fashion show, pirate dress up competition. There was a singer on board and also one night they had a steel drum band which I enjoyed. We were usually pretty tired from all our day time on shore activities that we didn’t stay up too late.

We hope we can do another Star Clipper cruise!