Around the middle of the XIX century Madrid city planners decided to join the street of Alcala to Plaza de España, which in 1901 was demolished more than 300 old houses, vanished without a trace of 14 streets. Home construction began in 1910 when King Alfonso XIII personally took the first stone of the walls of the former rectory near the church of San Jose. The massive street width and length of 35 meters was built in 1315 for several decades: the first house at the intersection of Gran Via and the street Victor Hugo was completed in 1916, the last building was completed in 1952
Great way - as translated from the Spanish name of one of the most famous streets in Marid, leading from the Plaza de España to the Plaza de Cibeles. A lively line does not relax for a moment: around a lot of people, shop windows, hotels, cinemas, just an impressive building ...
The name of the Gran Via street gave only 1981
The most impressive building of Gran Vía are on the outskirts of the street of Alcala for example, Edifiso Metropolis, surmounted by a winged goddess Victoria. On the Square Plaza del Callao at one time as many as six out facades of cinemas! Now most of the offices and shops, and working as we thought only the "Capitol" in the Art Deco style.
The dominant feature of the street is still a "Telefonica" - so called of Madrid was built in 1929, the building of the Office of the national telephone company. For its construction of the New York City was issued an American architect, Louis Weeks, built several skyscrapers in the United States, part of the decoration was entrusted with Ignacio Cardenas. Not yet been built tower on the Plaza de España, the building height of 88 meters was the highest in Madrid.