Singapore Stories and Tips

Tiger Airways

Tiger Airways is a Singapore-based budget airline. As with most budget airlines, all extras are premiums that you need to pay for; the most basic fare does not include meals nor checked in baggage. Tiger Airways also departs and lands from Changi's budget terminal, which is more uncomfortable than Changi's famed regular terminals: no tubes to the airplanes (you climb stairs from the tarmac), no seats directly in front of the gates (rather, there's a large waiting area for everyone with seats, but half an hour before you flight you have to queue up, standing, at the gate).

This flight was also my first time to see flight attendants sleep on the plane. I'd always wondered if flight attendants ever slept on the plane, especially during longhaul flights. I thought that they didn't, and that each plane ride was equivalent to a full day's work. But on this Tiger Airways flight, after they had done the trip up and down the aisle for disembarkation cards, duty free sales, and optional meals, three of the four flight attendants sat in the last rows of the plane (behind where I was seated), and curled up to take a nap. I must admit, I was a little surprised by that.

Beyond that, Tiger Airways was all I had hoped for with a budget airline: a cheap way to get from Point A to Point B. And yes, we departed on time, and arrived a little earlier than scheduled. So I have no complaints.

Flights can be booked on the Tiger Airways website at www.tigerairways.com. As with most airline websites, e-tickets for online bookings are sent via email. And again, as with many airlines, bring the credit card you used to make the online booking (or at least a photocopy of the front of the credit card) when you pick up your boarding pass at the airport.