Alaska Stories and Tips

Sadie Cove

Sadie Cove Photo, Alaska, United States

After breakfast, Richard got ready for a trail run along the trail leading from the back of the lodge. It was only supposed to be a few miles to the end and we understood it to be fairly well-maintained. It was for the first few switchbacks, but I quickly gave up the idea of a run and settled into a hiking pace. About a mile in, the trail practically disappeared and it became a bushwhack. As it turned out, it was built by connecting between game trails. Animals are of course much more adept at maneuvering through thick brush and low overhang. Progress was extremely slow and I was well aware that the conditions had all of the makings of a sudden bear encounter. I yelled out continuously and was actually surprised when I didn’t surprise anything and reached the end of the trail. I had reached the pass and enjoyed a nice view of the valley below. There was a large set of moose antlers near the end. On the trip back, it was about the same experience, although a bit easier to follow the second time around. When I returned to the lodge some 3 hours later, I had the confrontation with Keith that we describe in the Sadie Cove review. I’m glad I hadn’t estimated a time, because I certainly wasn’t going at a trail run (over for that matter even a normal hiking) pace. Laura had spent the morning reading in the room and we all had lunch when I returned. Richard and Laura’s dad went out to the fishing dock that afternoon. It really was a lot of fun. We rowed out in the raft and tied it up to the dock. The dock floats in deep water out in the cove, about a 15 minute row from the Lodge. You feel in your own little spot out there. It’s a comfortable size, with enough room to set everything up and walk around a bit. We put half a frozen herring on the end of our hooks, and let the line sink its way to the bottom. When the hook hit the bottom, we reeled in just a bit. Not too long after, I had a fish on the line. It took awhile to reel it up (water depth is about 100 ft at the dock). The fish took a dive a couple times, but eventually came into sight. It was a young halibut, about 8 lb. Laura’s dad helped get it onto the dock. We fished for awhile longer, but didn’t have any more luck. With some adventure, we got the fish into the raft and made our way back to the Lodge. While we waited for one of the Lodge workers to fillet it, I kept a close eye to prevent an easy meal for the eagle soaring above. We had the halibut for dinner the next evening and it was excellent. It was the first time any of us had had fresh halibut.

Been to this destination?

Share Your Story or Tip