Alaska Stories and Tips

Anchorage to Seward

Potter Marsh Photo, Anchorage, Alaska

Dad and I took the hotel shuttle to the airport and picked up our rental cars. While we were getting the cars, Richard went for another run on the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail – a bike path that goes from downtown Anchorage, along the coast, and past the airport. The trail goes through a wildlife marsh before climbing along the cliff near the airport. There are signs advising on how to deal with a moose encounter, but Richard didn’t see one. He did see several red-necked grebes at the marsh.
Laura’s parents loaded up their car and headed off toward Seward. Richard and Laura loaded up their car and headed to the Potter Marsh just outside Anchorage. We saw red-necked grebe, bald eagle, Arctic tern, and green winged teal. Then we headed to Seward. We arrived just before sunset and got some nice photos of the mountains around the bay in the evening light. We checked into the Beach House #2 in Lowell Point. It was quite nice. My parents took the downstairs bedroom, and Richard and I took the loft. There was a full kitchen and bathroom. It was a comfortable and inexpensive place for our stay in Seward. Laura’s parents ate at the Crab Pot that night, and Richard and Laura brought pizza back to the Beach House.