Prague Stories and Tips

Walking through Prague

We lucky to have great weather on our November weekend to Prague so we decided to get around all the sites by walking. What a great choice! Prague is an ideal city for walking, its a small city (none of the main sites are more than a 20 minute walk away from each other), the sidewalks are wide and many of the streets in the old town are pedestrianised. On top of all that it is a beautiful city - full of the most random collection of buildings I've ever seen. In 20 minutes you can wander through buildings that stretch from medieval gothic, Art Nouveau, to Communist era, and back again.

The first day we picked a few places we wanted to visit (the astronomical clock, the river and Charles Bridge, a vintage shop in the old town) and then set out to visit them on foot. We used the map in our guidebook, though the main sites are well sign-posted, so you could probably get away without a map. I particularly enjoyed walking through the old town with its winding streets and odd corners and by the river, watching the boats trudge along.

The second day we followed a walking tour in our guidebook. It was all about Communist Prague and it was actually quite interesting. We started off at Wenceslas Square going through some of the Art Nouveau galleries, the tour then took us to the top of the square where there are a few remnants of Communism, including a memorial to a martyr and the imposing old Communist Parliament building. It was short walk - 30 minutes in total - but it was worth it as I know nothing about this period. If I were to follow a self-guided walking tour again I would probably do a little more homework on the internet and pick something a bit longer. I'm sure you could also find walking tours on the internet, all with different periods of history and with different themes.

I enjoyed the both our self-guided tour and our wanderings through Prague and would certainly do the same again. Walking through Prague was a great experience. The mix of buildings from different ears is unique to Prague, and is ideally best explored on foot.