Toronto is an absolutely fabulous city and although it perhaps doesn't have the fame and prestige that the likes of NewYork and Washington have, it is undoubtedly a city you must visit.
Toronto is located in the Canadian province of Ontario and, contrary to popular belief, it is not the country's capital. That is Ottawa a slightly more understated city to the East of Toronto. Toronto is a massive sprawling metropolis with a distinctly cool and cosmopolitan vibe that attracts people from all walks of life.
There is plenty to do in Toronto and you don't have to look very hard for it, whether it's stunning views, relaxed beach, hip night clubs or gourmet food that you want, it's all here and here by the bucket load.
There isn't an abundance of big hitting sights in Toronto, but there are things that make for a fun trip none the less and here are my top five things to see and do:
1. The CN Tower was once the highest tower in the world and to this day it defines Toronto's skyline. The views from the observation deck are outstanding, especially on a clear day and there are thrills galore when you walk along the glass floor at the top.
2. Centre Island is located just across from the harbour and offers a slightly slower pace from the city centre. The island is also home to a small theme park that is much loved my children and adults alike.
3. The Eaton Centre is a shopper's paradise that sprawls over three huge floors and offers everything from high end designers to high street favourites. The shopping centre is huge and can more than accomodate for the thousands of people that visit, so it is always a pleasant way to shop.
4. The Royal Ontario Museum is a fabulous showcase of all that is great about Canada. There are some great permanent exhibits as well as wonderful temporary shows that pull in visitors from far and wide.
5. Toronto Zoo is a fun, although a tad expensive, day out. There are all the favourites as well as a number of different bears that are native to the country. The animals are well cared for and the zoo is a lovely place to see them. It is huge as well, so expect plenty of walking!
Aside from these there are a number of other things that can tempt you - try a Hippo Tour that takes you around the key sights on an amphibious bus that later heads straight into Lake Ontario and gives you a gentle cruise. The trip is a fun and informative way of getting an introduction to the city.
If you are after something to do in the evening, Toronto has everything from big box office theatre shows (we saw the Lion King which was simply amazing) to quiet little eateries for a romantic evening. For full details of what's on where, grab one of the free newspaper guides that you'll fing hanging next to the seats on the subway trains.
So whatever it is you want, you'll definitely find it in Toronto and you can't fail to have an amazing time finding it!