Budapest Stories and Tips

Budapest: Day 1

View from Fisherman's Bastion in Budapest Photo, Budapest, Hungary

The first day consisted of arriving at 9 in the morning (fun), making our way to the hotel, and passing out for a good 3 hours on the extremely comfortable beds in our room.

Miraculously, we were able to wake up and force ourselves to go outside and explore despite the major jet lag. About 10 seconds after stepping outside, the blue sky quickly vanished and it started pouring so we ran into a cafe close to the hotel and hid out there for a good hour.

I was eager to try some Hungarian food so I ordered goulash soup which was really delicious. I’m not a food expert so I’m not quite sure if there are several different kinds of goulash but mine had beef, potatoes, carrots, and onions in it. I’d definitely recomend trying it if you’re ever in Hungary! Unfortunately, I only ate goulash once while I was there because the rest of the week was extremely hot and who the hell wants to eat soup when it’s 90 degrees out?

The rain stopped after an hour and sunshine returned so we decided to walk around the city a bit to get an idea of where everything is. We walked long the Danube River, passed the gorgeous Parliament building, and ended up around St. Stephen’s Basilica which is surrounded by beautiful shops and cafes.

Jet lag got the best of us again and we ended up returning to the hotel and falling asleep by 8:30. Yeah. Party animals.