Alaska Stories and Tips

Northern Sky Lodge Mushing Adventure

Northern Sky Lodge Photo, Alaska, United States

I had planned to go mushing with Paws for Adventure, but I read about Northern Sky Lodge on Trip Advisor. The price was about the same and Pascale seemed really nice in the emails so, I decided to book the tour. We had four people in our group and she accommodated us all. We went out two teams at a time.

First, she geared us up with anything we might need. I suggest you dress as warm as you think you'll need to be. She'll let you know if you need anything else. I was pretty much set, but she suggested I switch my parka out for a short coat and wear a balaclava. I probably really didn't need it because it was pretty warm. She gave shoes and coats to some other people in my group.

She has several dogs on site that you can interact with. Most are pretty friendly and some are Iditarod veterans. The guide that was going to take us out also had some dogs that he brought with him. He was an iditarod veteran (Clint Warnke).

I fell off my sled twice, around the same curve. You go out, circle around and come back. They had just had about 18 inches of snow, so it was a soft landing.

Both the guides and Pascale were very friendly. Pascale offered us coffee and tea, a warm place to sit while we waited for the next group (since we went out two at a time), and lots of hospitality. I would love to stay at the lodge someday. The guides were very informative and it was neat running with an Iditarod/Yukon Quest veteran (Clint wasn't my guide, but Austin was just as informative and friendly).

One member of our group is 80 years old and he said this was the highlight of his trip and, "This made it worth it." He was a bit hesitant that he could handle it (he rode in the sled). Pascale made him feel comfortable and he had a great time.

More photos: