Vietnam Stories and Tips

Visa on Arrival

If you are flying in to Vietnam, you MUST have a visa letter before you board your flight. The airline counter from your port of departure will ask for it and check your documents. The steps are fairly straightforward, but it helps to know a few things along the way.
1. Go to http://www.myvietnamvisa.com/
2. Fill out the online application and pay the fee by credit card.
3. I had to ask for expedite service, and they were able to email me my visa within 24 hours.
4. For non-expedite service, expect a maximum of 48 hours. This all depends on when you submit your application based on local time. Also take into consideration that Saturdays and Sundays are non-business days.
5. Check all the details. I had accidentally moused over the wrong month, so I had to re-apply.
6. Print out your documents and have it ready to present at the airline counter at your port of departure.
7. When you arrive at the airport in Vietnam, go to the visa counter. You’ll hand over your documents and wait for your name to be called.
8. Have USD ready to pay your $25. They did have change to give back to me in USD, but don’t count on it.