Chalkidiki Stories and Tips

The Place With The Funny Name

Halkidiki Photo, Chalkidiki, Greece

For many years my family’s holidays took place in England, and very enjoyable they were too. Then a time came when we were able to spend a little more on holidays and also, to be honest, it helped when the eldest two were off on their own holidays, leaving only the younger two of our brood to take away with us. We visited some places around the Mediterranean and had some lovely holidays, but it took a while to convince my husband that he would enjoy going to places Greek. Eventually he gave in and we have now visited places such as Crete, Corfu and Cyprus (alright Cyprus isn’t really a Greek island but the regions that we have been to are essentially Greek) and Halkidiki.

I looked in travel brochures and on the internet for suitable holiday areas in mainland Greece. I felt that Halkidiki might be a good choice for two adults and two almost adults. Of course if they were the clubbing type then this might not have been as good a choice but luckily they weren’t and still aren’t particularly.

I’m glad that we chose Halkidiki. The hotel we stayed at was lovely but had some downsides but the location; we felt, was wonderful for us. I would love to return there soon.

~HALKIDIKI~

Halkidiki, also referred to as Chalkidiki, is Greece’s famous trident. It’s southeast of Greece’s second largest city of Thessalonika. The area is served by the airport at Thessalonika. It took us a coach transfer of over two hours, to get to our hotel in Kalithea, from the airport, but we enjoyed the ride. The trident is made up of three peninsulas, reaching out into the shimmering Aegean Sea. The peninsulas are Athos, Kassandra and Sithonia. Our hotel was in Kalithea,on the Kassandra peninsula, which is probably the most popular with overseas visitors, although, I understand the other areas have many charms. Sithionia is particularly scenic.

~FUN IN THE SUN~

We had some rain while we were on our August holiday to Halkidiki. It was raining when we arrived and there were a few more days when we experienced some rainfall. However, no day was without sunshine. The rain seemed to fall heavily for a while but then would stop and the sun would shine and soon the puddles would evaporate and the skies would be blue and the temperature hot.

Night-time was hot, but not too hot whist outside. In the hotel room we usually needed the air conditioning on at a low setting.

Really the weather suited us as it was mostly hot and with clear skies, but not as hot as usually experienced in Cyprus, for instance. It was hot when travelling around but still pleasant enough to want to go out and about.

~COME ON IN; THE WATER’S LOVELY~

Golden, sandy beaches galore are to be found in Halkidiki. In the Kallithea area the beach was sandy although there were rocks here and there guarding the way into the sea, but a pair of pool shoes means the way in should be both safe and manageable, especially as the water is very clear and rocks and stones can be easily seen.

Once in the sea, in summer at least, is wonderful. Really, who would want to be anywhere else? It’s as warm as a bath and the view out to sea is marvellous.
For water sports enthusiasts there is plenty of choice. All of the usual; parascending, jet skis, banana boas, fun rafts etc.

All around this area are places to partake of half, or whole days excursions or fishing trips. I always try to go on at least one boat trip when in hot places. I find being on a boat to is a cooling way to see some sites while enjoying the sun without overheating. Myself and my husband enjoy a swim but we aren’t expert, and I especially am not a strong swimmer, for those that are, then these trips often come with the bonus of the boat anchoring in a secluded spot so that and swimming or snorkelling can be experienced.

~GET OUT IN THE COUNTRY~

Halkidiki offers many sandy beaches and just as much in beautiful scenery. I suppose like many places it has become commercialised to some extent, and the main roads can be busy and even littered somewhat, but there are picturesque villages a plenty to be seen, tavernas and sea views to be enjoyed.

The villages in this area remain low rise and blend comfortably with the environment.
We visited a few of these and found them pleasant and friendly. Most seemed to have authentic old Greece with women dressed in black sweeping doorsteps whilst men with brown wrinkled faces played cards outside as they drank strong coffee from tiny cups, sitting amiably alongside the more modern young Greece with pleasant restaurants which had some modern features such as internet facilities and sometimes a pool table or two. Proprietors were happy to serve a meal or just drinks. They also would arrange a taxi for the return journey back to the hotel.

~WHERE TO REST ONE’S HEAD~

There are many hotels, guest houses and cottages to accommodate the visitor in this area. Some of the hotels are quite upmarket and expensive such as the Sani Beach resort, but fortunately not all of them are. I would think that a holiday on a tight budget should be possible here; after all once you’re in Greece you don’t need to spend too much. The entertainment, in my opinion, is to be had in the views, swimming in the sea and eating out in Greek tavernas, dining on olives, feta cheese, salads and dolmades and, of course, sampling local wines or perhaps even ouzo.

We stayed in an all-inclusive hotel, but if I were to return without any youngsters, then I think myself and my husband might well be tempted to stay on a bed and breakfast basis, our requirements being simple, which would make it more likely for us to enjoy the local restaurants.

Hotels here vary;some being more imposing than others but I the area where I stayed I felt that they ended themselves well to the ambience of the locality.

~DON’T FORGET YOUR CAMERA~

We mainly visited Halkidiki for a chill out holiday in a beautiful location but we still found the energy to do some touristy things.

Many of our trips out involved taking a bus ride past olive groves and pine covered hills, to stop at a village enjoying lunch and having a dip in the sea but there are other things to do.

Poligyros is Halkidiki’s capital. It is 69 km from Thessalonika. The town has been built on the foothills of Mount Holomonta. This is a town of historical importance in the area. In the year 1821 a local farmer was murdered here by Turkish soldiers, which resulted in the populace attacking and killing the Turks, thus the Turkish army were later forced to retreat from the area.

As well as there being churches, parks and wonderful views over the surrounding area, there can also be found museums such as the Archaeological Museum Of Poligiros and The Folklore Museum. I didn’t actually visit these museums so can only mention that they are there waiting for those who are interested. Not that In wasn’t interested but two weeks flies by when you’re having fun in the sun.

Mount Athos also known as Agion Oros, the ‘The Holy Mountain,is an important site in the region. Mount Athos contains many monasteries strictly ruled so strict in fact that I along with allo of my gender am not actually allowed inside them. There are excursions along the coast here, in the form of cruises, passing Mount Athos monasteries and continuing on to the port of Ouranoupolis, where there is a good selection of tavernas.

~OVERALL THOUGHTS ON HALKIDIKI~

In my opinion Halkididki has something for everyone but if you’re looking for somewhere lively, such as Benidorm, Magaluf or Faliraki then it won’t really be for you. There are nightclubs to be found and here and there, unfortunately, some fast food outlets can be found, but Halkidiki is authentically Greek, and proud of it.

Kalithea is a little varied. We found the coast side of our hotel pleasant and pretty, but along the road not as scenic. There were a few shops and bars but nothing much that near to the hotel. For us this didn’t matter too much although a few more palces close by would have made for pleasant after dinner strolls.

From my observations Halkidiki is a great place for all ages but if wanting the facilities of a hotel then check carefully, although this isn’t always that easy to do. We did like our hotel but thought it wasn’t well suited to teenagers or young adults.