Doha Stories and Tips

Toto, I think we're back in Kansas

Sharing a Starbucks Moment Photo, Doha, Qatar

As an American who shuns fast food franchises, I was appalled by the number of these eateries that spreads throughout Doha. Sure, in other countries I have seen KFC, McDonald's, Dairy Queen, Starbucks, Baskin Robbins, and Pizza Hut. Here, the list extends to Applebee's, Chili's, TGIF and a whole lot of others that take me back to my high school days. Ironically, finding Middle Eastern cuisine was more challenging than I expected. As always, if you eat western cuisine, you will pay a lot more than local fare.

Green Garden Restaurant: Great Indian restaurant (with some Chinese dishes). Modern atmosphere but very reasonable prices. I had a chicken thail for R12.

Turkey Central: This is my kind of place. Simple, clean, lots of locals and superb Middle Eastern dishes. Good fruit shakes, too.

Souk Waquif: Prices are probably double of Turkey Central, but you pay for the atmosphere. The Souk is a wonderful place to sit outside and people watch; as well as walk around. It's well worth the experience.