Namur is located at the confluence of the rivers Meuse and Sambre, where the first human settlements date back to the Mesolithic. A plot of land near the confluence, reminiscent of the shape of pigs, was named Grognon and marked the beginning of urban development in the IV-X centuries. In the X century at the top of the rock was built a watchtower, and later formed around the Count's castle. In 1421, the county bought the Duke of Burgundy, Philip the Good. And in 1506 Namur goes to the Spanish Netherlands. At this time, Namur has been repeatedly attacked, therefore, despite its long history in the city are not so many old buildings.
In 1692, after a remarkable siege of the city goes to the French King Louis XIV. At this time, besides the existing walls, built a defensive shaft according to the prominent military architect Vauban. Only since the end of the XVII century began an active urban infrastructure, as evidenced by the rich architectural heritage of the XVIII century in the style of Mosan, characterized by a combination of brick with blue limestone (local stone).
Among the surrounding buildings stands the majestic Cathedral of St.. Alban, was rebuilt by Italian architect Gaetano Pizzoni in the years 1751-1767 on the ruins in 1740 in Romanesque churches, as a result of flooding.
Provincial Palace (or the Governor's Palace) in the classical style was built in 1728-1732 years as a bishop's palace, but after the French Revolution gained administrative value.
In olden times the square of Arms were executed. A dominant area until 1914 was the Town Hall. However, during the First World War, the town hall and adjacent houses were destroyed, a new area was rebuilt in 1923. Now the area is primarily attracted the attention of the old Stock Exchange building, built in renaissance style in 1932.
Theatre Royal is one of the last theaters in Europe equipped with Italian-style (XIX century), After the fire, the theater was rebuilt in sandstone, rare material for Namur.
The first fort at this place was built by the Romans back in the III-IV centuries for the protection of the Meuse valley from the Germanic tribes. Later in the X century Earl Namyursky on site of Roman ruins erected a wooden guard tower, which in subsequent years, overgrown fortifications. So in the years 1235-1245 was built the new stone fort, which was expanded in the XIV century. Charles V of Habsburg in the years 1542-1555 has improved strength, so that in the years to enable it to act like a real city. In the XVII century fortress walls have been doubled so that the fort became one of the most fortified buildings in Europe. Only in the XIX century, most of the fortress walls were destroyed by order of Napoleon, as it lost its defensive significance, being in the depths of the empire.
On the opposite bank of the Sambre, under the walls of the citadel is a building of the Parliament of Wallonia and the Hospice Saint-Gilles. Hospital building, based in the Middle Ages gave way to a few titles, while in the XVIII century, it is not located Hospice Saint-Gilles. This charity was of paramount importance in the social life of Namur, taking the poor, the sick, orphans and elderly people without the means to sustain life. Two of the buildings constructed in the XVI-XVII centuries, retain their importance today. Basically the same building, built in 1668 of brick and limestone and was recently renovated, is now housed parliament of Walon.