Piazza di Spagna - one of the largest squares of the city, was built to the International Exhibition in 1929 at the foot of Montjuic near Sants-Montjuic. That's the view from the mountain to the area you are now and see.
In the center - a fountain designed by Josep Maria Jujol, member of Antoni Gaudi, and sculptures by his side created by Miquel Blay. Buildings were designed by Nicolau Maria Rubio and Tuduri.
Next, see Venetian tower. The museum itself is behind me.
Their height is 47 m. They point the way to the National Museum of Catalan Art across the street, Avinguda de la Reina Maria Cristina.
Who cares, the history of the area in the abridged version: the square was built on the site, which was previously used for public executions. Following the establishment in 1715 the fortress citadel, to date destroyed, the gallows were moved into the castle. The area was designed in 1915, and was built in 1929 and was ready to take the World's Fair in 1929 In 1928, the dictator Miguel Primo de Rivera, who at the time headed the Spanish government ordered the dismantling four Ionic columns, known as Les quatre columns. These pillars symbolizing the four bands on the flag of Catalonia, and the decree of Miguel Primo de Rivera on their dismantling part of its policy of total prohibition of the Catalan character.
Reaching the square fastest on the subway. Spain station (lines L1, L3, L8).
And this is the Plaza de Toros. The old arena for bullfights. Tuned to the mall. Bullfighting in Catalonia is not popular.
National Art Museum of Catalonia or MNAC - Museum of Catalan Art, is the main museum in Barcelona, he is in the National Palace, built for the International Exhibition of 1929.
It is situated on a hill Montjuïc at the end of the Avinguda de la Reina Maria Cristina, the palace was renovated for the Summer Olympic Games in 1992.
The museum houses an amazing collection of Romanesque art (eg, wall painting in the Romanesque churches and chapels near Catalonia, which has been moved to the museum), Gothic Art (Catalan Art XIII-XV centuries), the art of the Renaissance, Baroque and contemporary art. tdel drawings and prints, photography and numismatics department: coins, medals and paper money from the VI century BC. er. and to this day.
Hours: Mon-Sat 10.00-19.00, Sun and holidays 10.00-14.30, closed on 1 January, 1 May and 25 December
Ticket price: Tue-Wed, Fri-Sun 05.08?, temporary exhibitions Tue-Wed, Fri-Sun 5evro, museum and temporary exhibitions Tue-Wed, Fri-Sun 12evro, Fri after 18.00, for children aged 7 to 21 years and persons over 65 years Tue-Sun 30% discount, the first Thursday of the month admission is free.