Durham Stories and Tips

Brightleaf Square Photo, Durham, North Carolina

For Christmas of 2008 I brought my mom a ticket to see Legally Blond…The Musical with me at the new Durham Performing Arts Center the following April. We had never been on a trip together and my mom had never been to a Broadway show, so I was excited about our trip and for April to hurry up and get here.

We started our day by visiting the beautiful Sarah P. Duke Gardens located on the grounds of the beautiful and historic Duke University. Long considered to be one of the best public gardens in the country, visitors can enjoy the incredible 55 acres of sheer beauty including the stunning Japanese Gardens near where the yearly blessing of the animals is held each year.

Then we checked into our room and got ready for the show. This evening we would be enjoying the amazing Legally Blond…The Musical . The delightful show is based on the hit movie of the same name starring Reese Witherspoon. Afterwards we got our picture taken with the very yummy UPS guy! The show was held at the new pride of Durham, the Durham Performing Arts Center which had just opened up at the American Tobacco Campus.

That Sunday we got up and attended services at the massive and beautiful Duke University Chapel . The church was built from 1930-1932. The imposing gothic structure is open to the public and afterwards visitors are invited to a tour of the beautiful church.

While here, we stayed at the wonderful Marriott Research Triangle . We enjoyed a great meal at Fishmongers at the terrific Brightleaf Square .

Suggestions

My first suggestion is always the same. Go to the cvb website at www. Durhamn-nc.com. You will find all kinds of things to do, book a hotel on line, and get trip planning ideas.

Look around at several of my other journals. I have several other journals on the city and Raleigh.

Durham is part of the triangle which includes Chapel Hill and the state’s capitol, Raleigh. So combined you will find lots of things to keep you busy over the weekend.

It is also home to some of the top colleges in the country including Duke University, UNC-Chapel Hill, and NC State University. So at the start of the new school year, during homecoming, alumni weekend, and during games you will need to make advanced hotel reservations.

This area is always halfway between the piedmont and the Wilmington area so it makes a great place to stop and spend the night before moving on.

Durham is home to one of the most famous minor leagues, the Durham Bulls. Yep from the movie Bull Durham with hunky Kevin Costner. The movie was filmed at the old stadium. But when they new stadium was built they moved over some of the things you see in the movie.

The colleges I mentioned have some beautiful campus that you can walk around and enjoy anytime and their gardens are open to the public as are several other buildings.

If you plan on attending Christmas at the Duke chapel, you will have to make reservations in hotels well in advanced. And get to the chapel early. It is packed.

Getting around

Raleigh-Durham (RDU) will be your closest airport. They are about 30 minutes from Durham. The website is www.rdu.com. Low-cost carrier Southwest fly from here.

You will need to rent a car from the airport to get around. There is public transportation throughout the area and going in-between the triangle areas. You can go to the transportation services website at www.triangletransist.org.

In the American Tobacco Campus, pedicab is a popular option. Mom and I took a ride around the area since they were giving away free rides compliments of DPAC.

*Disclaimer-Other than media requests I do not allow my journals or photos to be reproduced. Please do not contact me to use my images or journals otherwise. And I do not allow anyone to use them without proper credit.