Cyprus Stories and Tips

Protaras Town Of An Evening

Protaras town Photo, Cyprus, Europe

I love spending my family holidays in Cyprus. I find this island a great, family friendly country which caters excellently for the holiday maker

I have stayed in both Protaras and Paphos and feel that, although I like both resorts, for a family holiday with mixed ages, I have a slight preference for the Protaras region. This area has so much for the family to do, especially if you have young teenagers in your party.

We have spent two summers in this area with teenagers and have found it safe for the youngsters to travel around with friends they have made on holiday.

During the summer daytimes spent in Protaras are best spent around the pool or on the beach, However, when, although still hot, it cools slightly in the evening, then this is the time that Protaras really comes alive.

Mostly in the evening we would spend some time in our hotel and then have wander around the town of Protaras. and its main strip. Its ideal for an after dinner stroll, or indeed, a place to spend an entire evening.

Even in the evening during July and August it is extremely hot and the air conditioned shops are pleasant to walk around as an escapef from the heat.

There is an abundance of shops in the area of Protaras town, especially in the main strip. The area has -gift shops, clothes shops and mini marts. Crocs type shoes are available in many colours and sizes, fake designer sunglasses and handbags, Tee shirts, leather belts, jewellery and on and on!

And after a while, and perhaps having made a few purchases, there are bars a plenty to choose from, for a relaxing cool drink or for an evening of entertainment.

Most bars here will welcome children. Some bars are karaoke. It’s all good fun. Some have tribute acts. There seems to be far too many artists here copying ElvisPresley, Robbie Williams, Kylie Minogue, that I don’t know how they manage to earn a living. Competition must be fierce.

The bars often have happy hours and sell some fantastic looking cocktails, with sparklers alight between fruit and paper parasols resting on one's glass.

Other bars have snooker or pool tables . Most seem clean and friendly with excellent service, most also serve food until late.

In Protaras the evenings buzz and everywhere stays open until late, bars and shops. Our son went with friends to ‘Boogies’ nightclub and left there at four –thirty in the morning and bought a kebab!

Sometimes along the main strip there would be an outdoor choir, gathering a crowd.

There is plenty to do apart from bars and shops. Activities include trampolines, a mini bungee chair/cradle. Children love to watch the ‘Magic Waters Show.’ This is a dancing water show with lights and music. There's a cinema too. If you are after fast food, then there's a McDonalds and pizza hut.

As a family we all loved Protaras of an evening. We appreciated that, although very lively and positively buzzing, it remained friendly, and felt safe. We never experienced any trouble, just jolly holiday makers mingling with friendly Cypriots