Spain Stories and Tips

Day trip to Toledo and Escorial

Basilica in Toledo Photo, Spain, Europe

We booked a tour on Grayline Sightseeing tour at grayline.com that combined a visit of the medieval town of Toledo along with a visit of the Valley of the Kings before we left for our trip. The Grayline website said the tour included hotel pickup and drop off which was nice. The website asked us the name and address of the hotel online so they would know to pickup. However, as I read the voucher in my hotel in Madrid, it said to call 48 hours prior to the tour to confirm. So I did. Turns out, to my disappointment, the company Trapsatur which Grayline uses as the tour company in Madrid DID NOT include the hotel pickup or drop off AND worse, Grayline failed to mention that the VALLEY OF THE KINGS has been closed for renovation since NOVEMBER 2009! I booked this tour in September of 2010 so I’m not sure why the website still says that and I don’t know why it says in the website that the hotel pickup is clearly included. Either way, I guarantee you that I will call Grayline and give them an earful. Anyway, Trapsatur told me at that point that they are replacing the VALLEY OF THE KINGS stop with a stop at the Monastery of Escorial.

TOLEDO was very nice. Most of the historic building dating back to the 14th century still stands today including a Cathedral, Church and a converted Synagogue. The tour to Escorial was surprisingly good. You get a really good feel for the monarchy of Spain between 1500 to 1700. Monarchy still continues to be buried here in Escorial and the frescos at the 15th Century library was out of this world!