Durham Stories and Tips

PF Changes Photo, Durham, North Carolina

Overview.

Starting a new job, I knew I could not take off for vacation for 6 months and I am thinking I may soon be on weekends. So while I had weekends off, John and I took a much needed weekend away and went to Durham to take in a Bulls game.

We were here mainly to see the Durham Bulls play. Now you may be thinking.."isn’t there a movie call Bull Durham ? Yep there is and the team was the team Kevin Costner played for. It was also shot here in Durham.

Since we had to check out at 11 and could not pick up Boo Boo until 4, we had plenty of time to kill. After confusion over which natural history museum I was referring to, we ended up going and checking out The Scrap Exchange since I had wanted to visit for sometime.

We had to take Boo Boo with us. This time we left him at Sunny Acres Pet Resort . It gave him plenty of room to run. While it was a step up from the last place, we left him at; I still was 100% in love with the place.

We stayed at the Spring Hill Suites Durham . It is in a great location near the Bulls Stadium and not to far from where we left our little boy.

Since we had to drop Boo Boo off so early, we had time to eat lunch. So we headed to Hog Heaven for some Eastern Style BBQ. They are easy to find and offer up some great Q.

I wanted dinner to be in the American Tobacco Campus since it is right across from the Bulls Stadium. I had been to the Mellow Mushroom in Columbia, so I was anxious to give this one a try. Turns out it was as good as the one in Columbia.

Sunday after checking out of our hotel, I had really been wanting to try Chinese and since I was skittish about eating Chinese out, I decided to go with PF Changs . I walked away unscathed, unlike my last take out Chinese dinner!

Suggestions

My first suggestion is always the same. Go to the cvb website at www. Durhamn-nc.com. You will find all kinds of things to do, book a hotel on line, and get trip planning ideas.

Look around at several of my other journals. I have several other journals on the city and Raleigh.

Durham is part of the triangle which includes Chapel Hill and the state’s capitol, Raleigh. So combined you will find lots of things to keep you busy over the weekend.

It is also home to some of the top colleges in the country including Duke University, UNC-Chapel Hill, and NC State University. So at the start of the new school year, during homecoming, alumni weekend, and during games you will need to make advanced hotel reservations.

This area is always halfway between the piedmont and the Wilmington area so it makes a great place to stop and spend the night before moving on.

Durham is home to one of the most famous minor leagues, the Durham Bulls. Yep from the movie Bull Durham with hunky Kevin Costner. The movie was filmed at the old stadium. But when they new stadium was built they moved over some of the things you see in the movie.

The colleges I mentioned have some beautiful campus that you can walk around and enjoy anytime and their gardens are open to the public as are several other buildings.

If you plan on attending Christmas at the Duke chapel, you will have to make reservations in hotels well in advanced. And get to the chapel early. It is packed.

Getting around

Raleigh-Durham (RDU) will be your closest airport. They are about 30 minutes from Durham. The website is www.rdu.com. Low-cost carrier Southwest fly from here.

You will need to rent a car from the airport to get around. There is public transportation throughout the area and going in-between the triangle areas. You can go to the transportation services website at www.triangletransist.org.

In the American Tobacco Campus, pedicab is a popular option. Mom and I took a ride around the area since they were giving away free rides compliments of DPAC.

*Disclaimer-Other than media requests I do not allow my journals or photos to be reproduced. Please do not contact me to use my images or journals otherwise. And I do not allow anyone to use them without proper credit.