Anguilla Stories and Tips

Restaurants

view from Gwen's Reggae Grill Photo, Anguilla, Caribbean

The restaurants on Anguilla were amazing. I know why they have such a good reputation now! We only had one bad meal the entire trip!

Blue- We had continental breakfast here all but one morning. We preferred going to the restaurant instead of having it delivered to our room because there was more selection. I loved the croissants and my husband’s favorite was the apple turnovers. The continental breakfast was better than what we have had in most other hotels. We also had lunch here twice. Both lunches were delicious, and much better than most hotel food.

Pimms- We had dinner at Pimms our first night. The ambiance here was great and we had a table right at the water’s edge. I had the Caesar salad and beef tenderloin. Both were fantastic and the steak was on par with upscale steakhouses like Morton’s (but even better!) My husband had the ceviche and gnocchi with shrimp. Both were delicious, but the gnocchi was a small portion for my husband. Luckily my steak was big, so he ate some of mine.

Picante- Great Mexican food! We had the chorizo con queso for an appetizer. For my meal I had a chicken quesadilla and my husband had the prawn burrito. It was great and a good option for a less expensive dinner.

Scilly Cay- We had a delicious lunch here while on our boat day trip. They called our order ahead right after we got on the boat so that we wouldn’t have to wait too long. I had the chicken and my husband had the chicken and lobster combo. It was a lot of food! It was expensive—the bill came to $123 for the meals, one rum punch, one coke and one bottle of water. But I think it was worth it. We also enjoyed the live music.

Smokey’s on the Cove- We went to Smokey’s for Sundown Sunday- they had live music and quite a crowd. We had a great table in the sand. We enjoyed the casual atmosphere and they were playing my kind of music (more upbeat music). For dinner we had delicious, tender calamari as an appetizer then I had a burger and my husband had seafood pasta. All of it was great. Then I had a couple perfect strawberry daiquiris and my husband had a few beers. We left about 10 pm. I wish we could have stayed longer to enjoy the party but we were too tired from being in the sun all day.

Gwen’s Reggae Grill- We had a great lunch on the beach here. I had the shrimp and my husband had the ribs and chicken combo. We enjoyed looking at the beautiful colors of the water here and there was a nice breeze to keep us cool.

Cuisinart- My husband and I split the tempura shrimp appetizer and cheese pizza here. It was delicious! And the tomatoes that came with the shrimp were the sweetest tomatoes ever tasted.

Straw Hat- We had dinner one night and breakfast one morning at this great restaurant. My husband had the wahoo special and I had the roasted chicken. For dessert I had crème brulee and my husband had a lime cheesecake. We went for breakfast the next morning since they said we could use their chairs and umbrellas on the beach if we had a meal. After having continental breakfast all week, it was nice to have a hot breakfast. And their prices for breakfast were much more reasonable than at our hotel.

Johnno’s- We had lunch here before taking the boat to Sandy Island. My husband and I both had burgers and they were not good. This was the only bad meal of the trip and we wished we had lunch on Sandy Island instead!

Blanchards- We had dinner here on our last night and we both had the prix fix. We both had shrimp and lobster cakes (delicious!), then my husband had the chicken scallopini and I had the beef tenderloin. I have a hard time deciding whether I liked this steak more or less than the one I had at Pimms since both were so great. For dessert we both had the key lime pie in a glass. While the food was wonderful, the service was not the best. We didn’t get any bread for the table, so we had to ask for it. The appetizer came out pretty quickly, but we had to wait a really long time for our entrée. We also had to wait a long time for our water to be refilled. And this isn’t service—but a coke was $5.50! That was more than Cap Juluca charged ($4) and at least at Cap you got the whole can! I understand the expensive price of the food, but I thought it was a bit ridiculous to charge that much for a coke. Aside from one of our meals at Blue, this was the only time we did not experience great service while on the island.