Ecuador Stories and Tips

Day 20 – March 31: Sacha Lodge

MORNING HIKE:

Well, our vacation caught up with us today, and my son was just too tired to answer the 5:30am wakeup call. In the end, it was a blessing because it rained most of the morning, so instead of boating downriver to see the parrots as planned, the group did a very long hike. This was great for my husband, the hiker, but it would not have been good for the 8-year-old.

My son and I spent quite a bit of the morning at the butterfly house, which is a dry haven out of the rain. We also enjoyed reading in the hammock at our room as well as catching up on homework and journaling.

It seemed like all the groups came back earlier than usual to dry off, although many people did have good stories of interesting animals and birds that they saw.

My son spent about 2 hours at the swimming dock and made great progress in his diving technique. Needless to say, I was really happy to be at a lodge with swimming!

AFTERNOON:

Our afternoon excursion was a canoe ride up Anaconda Creek. This is another beautiful narrow waterway covered by palms and hanging vines.

Just listening to the "opera house" of the Amazon rainforest is an experience in itself.

We saw some great birds, a huge lizard in a tree, some monkeys, and my son even saw fish in the water. It was a gorgeous, pleasant trip.

Back on land, my husband and son saw a pygmy monkey, a brown tarantula, and a black tarantula. I somehow missed all of them….

EVENING

Tonight was our last night at Sacha, and we had a special treat – a barbeque out on the dock. All the picnic tables were set, and it was a very festive atmosphere with everyone chatting with new friends.

CLOTHING:

For hiking, this was a poncho and rubber boots day. Around the lodge, an umbrella and sandals were fine. For the canoe ride, shorts or pants were fine with walking shoes or sandals (ponchos close at hand).

FOOD:

Breakfast was another amazing buffet. For those of us who slept through it, they are happy to provide a separate breakfast to your order.

Mid-morning was a snack of apples, bananas, and chocolate squares.

The dinner was wood grilled chicken, steak, pork, and 2 kinds of sausage with several sauces plus salads, potatoes, and vegetables. For dessert, there was white cake, flan, and fruit.