Riviera Maya Stories and Tips

Edventures Day Tour

Tulum Photo, Riviera Maya, Mexico

We booked this day tour after reading great reviews. It was a very reasonable price for an all day tour and we were able to make it a private tour for just the four of us for only $20 more per person. The total cost was about $115 per person. We were picked up from our hotel at 8 am and shuttled in a minivan to another location where we met our guide, Jay. We were then transferred to his Hummer, which was very comfortable to ride around in! Jay is an American who lives in the area. He was quite the character, but very knowledgeable about the area. One of the best things about this tour is that we started early and we really beat the crowds at every stop we made.

Our first stop was Tulum. When we arrived there was hardly anyone there. We spent about an hour and a half walking around the ruins and taking in the breathtaking views. With the ruins being right on the water it was really picturesque. By the time we left the tour buses started rolling in so we were happy to move on to our next stop.

The next stop was ziplining. Only the guys participated in this. There were two ziplines the first was much shorter than the first. For the first one you walk back to the platform. For the longer one, you canoe back. I have to wonder how safe these were because they were not given helmets or gloves to wear like I have seen at other zipline locations. And they were given a stick to use for the break! The guys did enjoy it.

We then stopped and played with a howler monkey, Chachto. I have always loved monkeys, so this was a treat for me. The guide, my husband and friend all fed him yogurt which he seemed to enjoy. He was so cute. I felt bad for him though because he was kept on a chain. The guide did say that he didn’t like that, but that he is well taken care of.

Next we made our way to the Dos Ojos Cenote. All the freshwater in the area is underwater. Sometimes the rocks covering it would cave in, creating what looks like caves, with clear, freshwater to explore. The water was cold! But the snorkeling was very interesting. Not really any fish besides some small minnows, but viewing the underwater stalagtites and caverns was amazing. In some areas is was very dark, so it scared me a little. I just had to make sure to not lose sight of the guide who was holding a flashlight. It was also fun to see the divers swimming below us. This was a unique experience and I enjoyed it.

Next we stopped for lunch in Half Moon Bay. I wish I could remember the name of the Mexican restaurant! We all enjoyed our meals (one of the best of the trip and a welcomed change after the not so good food at our hotel).

Our final stop was Akumal to snorkel with turtles. This was the highlight of the trip for me. I had seen turtles before, but never any this big. They are so graceful in the water and I could have watched them for a while. We then swam out to the reef and did a little exploring there. It was nice, but I didn’t see anything I hadn’t seen before. I would have liked to have spent more time with the turtles instead!