Marietta Stories and Tips

Breakfast at the Rib Ranch

The Rib Ranch is a BBQ restaurant and a fixture on the Canton Road corridor just north of Marietta, GA. A few months ago it started serving breakfast on weekends.

Breakfast is one of my favorite meals to have "on the road" rather than at home. There is just something about a generous serving of potatoes or grits next to an omelet or scramble that satisfies the soul. The meals at the Rib Ranch satisfy!

My favorite omelet is the spinach, mushroom, tomato and feta cheese. Hubby goes for the eggs and potatoes combo. I choose the grits as my side while he orders the potatoes. Grits come in a generous cup/bowl and are already salted so the only things I add are the butter and, sometimes, a spoonful of sugar. (I was brought up with grits as a breakfast cereal and hominy as the dinner equivalent - therefore the sugar.) The omelet is fluffy and full of veggies and feta. The slightly salty taste of the cheese brings out the flavors of the veggies and eggs without the use of additional salt (got to remember that blood pressure thing). Hubby's combo comes in a skillet with the potatoes on the bottom and the eggs (over easy) draped over them. The potatoes are firm, well browned and nicely seasoned. The eggs are the perfect topper with the white contrast against the brown of the potatoes. I could never have put together a meal of this magnitude and had everything cooked at the same time.

The decor is traditional tacky. The ceiling is partially covered with tiles that have been painted - everything from the sun to bison - in bright colors. On the walls are photos, stuffed critters (look for the nesting hens) neon signs, and even a cowgirl mannequin. The booths and tables are bare bones with plastic covers on the tables and limited padding on the booth seats. This mishmash gives the Rib Ranch an atmosphere of fun which goes very well with good food.

By the way, the BBQ (pulled pork) is pretty good for dinner too. I haven't tried anything else, but I'm sure everything else is just as good.

Although it may seem odd to have breakfast at a BBQ place, try the Rib Ranch and I'm sure you will be pleased with your meal.