Maine Stories and Tips

Pemaquid Point and GPS antics

Papier Mache Dragon on Pemaquid Point Photo, Maine, United States

We woke up rested and ready to rock, despite a fairly hard bed. We headed down for some blessedly mundane McDonald’s breakfast (we didn’t want to risk the hotel breakfast after last night’s culinary tragedy), and set the GPS for Pemaquid Point. This was a beautiful area, filled with roses, butterflies, sailboats and cormorants. Spending a while soaking in the relaxing seaside beauty seemed like just the ticket to counteract the hectic beaches of the day before. Jason climbed down to the rocks and the beach, but I only had sandals on and wasn’t quite ready to trust these flimsy footwear to the ravages of Atlantic coast rocks. I stayed at the vantage point over the point, and took lots of beautiful photos, while Jason explored. I befriended some Monarch butterflies, also on vacation.

On the way back from the point, we decided to explore the next point south, and took 129 down. We got lost a couple times, despite the efforts of the GPS. Sometimes it was DUE to the GPS – it insisted there was a road where there was simply a cliff. Was it trying to get us killed? Apparently so. I could swear I could hear disappointment in the female voice as she recalculated our route after turning around. She’s out to get us, truly.

We made it to Rockland, only to discover it was in the throes of a Lobster Festival. That was all well and good, but we simply wanted to sit at a café and eat a relaxed lunch – and there was no parking to be had. The area was bustling with tourists, locals, and vendors, all wanting to hock cheap fair food. We did see a sushi restaurant, a phenomena my in-laws had insisted was nowhere to be found in Maine. However, we decided to skip scenic Rockland and head up the coast to Camden for more serene eating opportunities.

We found such opportunity at a small roadside café called ‘Offshore Diner’, not far from Camden. I had my first taste of New England lobster stew; we had steamed clams, lobster and fried seafood platters for lunch. The food was delicious; the stew was creamy and full of big chunks of lobster, the clams were wonderful and tasty, and I couldn’t finish all the food they brought.

After lunch, we headed inland on route 7, and headed home to my in-laws’ house and antique store (www.ironbellyantiques.com) in Palmyra, Maine. On the way through the bustling city of Newport, we saw what Jason called Holy Rollers (Pentecostals) – girls in blue dresses, boys in shirts and suits. We were home around 3:30pm, and after the initial round of hugs and hellos, we settled into our digs. I greeted their new black Labrador puppy (Chewie), and he gave me the grand tour of the place. Their house is a wonderful old farmhouse, circa 1830-1880, with a huge carriage house that is now an Antique Store, and 14 rooms in the main house. They’ve done a lot of renovating, but are still in the process for the kitchen and downstairs bathroom.

That night Jason got together ingredients to make one of his favorite meals – a cioppino soup made with mussels, clams, and scallops, and spaghetti with ‘Sunday gravy’, an Italian tomato sauce with different meats simmered in it. We ate it up, it was delicious! I think he impressed his parents with his cooking skills – I know his mom asked him for the recipe of the soup.

The Perseid meteor shower was supposed to be visible, but there was so much cloud cover it wasn’t. Too bad, I’d never seen meteor showers before, though I have seen my share of falling stars. The wishes never came true, though – otherwise I would have won that lottery long ago.