Churchill Stories and Tips

Dining at Gypsy's Bakery and Cafe

Gypsy's Cafe & Bakery Photo, Churchill, Manitoba

As the sign states on their rooftop Gypsy's is "THE PLACE TO BE IN CHURCHILL." Our tour group operator Churchill Nature Tours had all of our meals while in Churchill taken care of by Gypsy's. When we were "in town" our breakfasts and dinners were at Gypsy's. Our tundra buggy tour picnic lunches were prepared by them as well. Churchill Nature Tours must be highly regarded as everyone there knew our guide Steve and he seemed to enjoy his conversations with them.

Gypsy's is a mix between a cafeteria line type operation (breakfast and lunch) and sit-down diner (dinner). For our group, we had our choice of anything on the ala carte menu for breakfast, including selections from their fresh daily bakery case. Who would have thought you could get great pastries and bakery goods at a cafe located in frontier town like Churchill?

Tour groups who were brought in for meals had reserved tables awaiting their arrival. In the front of the restaurant was a table set for eight or ten, reserved and intended for the locals. After a couple of meals at Gypsy's the locals became recognizable. It was typically the same assortment of characters (and I say that in a respectful way) each morning and evening.

I enjoyed my scrambled eggs and sausage during our first breakfast there . . . and REALLY enjoyed the eggs benedict the next two. Others had everything from pancakes to hot oatmeal to steak n eggs. I do not believe I heard a single negative comment about the quality of the breakfasts our group had.

We only had one lunch actually at Gypsy's, our first day in town. I opted for a burger and fries really more of a safe choice as I figured nobody could mess up a burger. Obviously I had forgotten about the "meatloaf" burger I had two years ago in Scotland, but all was good with my Gypsy's burger!

For dinner, our first night our choice was made for us as they wanted to get folks into the Canadian frame of mind serving local favorite arctic char. Akin to salmon, it had a good light flavor. Served with a choice of soup or salad, rice and steamed veggies and anything from the pastry/dessert case, it was an outstanding meal.

The other two nights in town, we had our choice from a limited offering menu which did provide an assortment of fish, meat and pasta entrees. For the first I had pickerel, a local freshwater fish which is similar to walleye found in the Great Lakes region of the USA . . . and the next evening I opted for a nice NY strip steak. Both meals were also served with choice of soup, veggies or salad and a dessert from the case.

For our two tundra buggy days, our picnic lunch consisted of hot soup (mmmm for a cold day out on the tundra), a choice of sandwich (everything from egg or tuna salad to corned beef or turkey). I had the tuna salad on wheat one day and turkey on a kaiser the second. For dessert, we had danishes (apple on Monday and lemon on Tuesday). Hot and cold beverages were also available during our buggy meal.

Beverages such as coffee, tea, juice, soda and milk came with all of our meals. Wine could be purchased for an additional fee. My new "friends" enjoyed the house red wine.

They have a web site, although there is no menu posted there: http://www.gypsybakery.ca/theplace.html .

253 Kelsey Blvd.