Easter Island Stories and Tips

Sailing a Tall Ship Across the Southern Ocean

Tall Ship Soren Larsen - in Southern Ocean  Photo, Easter Island, Chile

Tallship Soren Larsen voyage -
Have you ever dreamed of going to sea? Have you ever thought about an adventure across the Pacific? As of today, february 24th, we are embarking on a the adventure of a lifetime! I have been cook on Soren now for fourteen months, but this next trip is one of a kind. We are going to sail some 4500 nautical miles to one of the most isolated places on earth-Easter Island!

There are twenty five of us sailing Soren Larsen towards Rapa-Nui, each for a different reason. There will be times of sea-sickness, times of being scared and times of wishing to see land, but there will be one thing that will hold us together, were are here to have fun and make the most out of the experience.

For the past six days I personally have experienced sea-sickness and being scared, but at the end of the day I still have a smile on my face! I feel very protected by the ship and her crew and we are having a blast so far-even if it has been force 8 and 9 since the day of departure!

Martin celebrated his 74th birthday on the 26th and we had such a great day that we decided to do it all over again on the following day; well we crossed the International dateline (so fair enough I would want to celebrate my birthday twice!)

We managed to get the Upper Topsail down below decks for super sewer Sarah to mend. Now I have to hand it to the girl, she did a magnificent job with her first sail repair considering the circumstances. On deck people were cold, sea-sick and wanting warmth while poor Sarah was below decks in the muggy air and had to take breaks to rush up on deck and feed the fish! In two days she did a damn fine job and with just our luck the seas and the wind eased, the sun came out and the sail was bent back on the yard!

As it stands now there is no lack of water on the ship. We are dipping our cap rail into the eerie cobalt wash of the sea. We are able to shower once a day, but judging by the appearance of everyone at the lunch table, they are too exhausted to stand in the shower even for just a minute, their bunks cry out to them as soon as they are off watch. It has been a hard few days, we still have some 25 days to go!

The thermometer continues to drop and as more layers are worn by the watch keepers Stacey and I dread the thought of having to go on deck to get fruit or veggies our to the lockers. On that note, the produce is lasting far beyond what we expected, must be the 13˚C temperatures!

We are definitely in the roaring "40s", the ship continues to rock and roll and cooking is no easy task. The watches rotate with little need of reminders of what is necessary for the 4 hours of duty; a routine has finally been established!

Today is our 16th day of sailing, we are "just" half way and the sun is out for one of the first times since departure. Sheets, t-shirts, wool socks and sweaters are hanging around the deck, they dry in no time; it’s a reminder of how difficult washing can be at sea- nothing dries in the salt air unless the sun is beaming and today is that day! There are line-ups for washing buckets and clothes line space!

We are very entertained considering there are no TVs or radios, we had a limerick contest and tonight there is a brain teaser organized for 1800hrs. Each watch has to come up with 5 different nautical questions to quiz the other watches on, let’s see how smart these sailors really are! Anyway's , smoko is in 15 minutes and I should put the kettles on, the regulars will be waiting.