Nashville Stories and Tips

Nashville after Dark

Downtown Nashville Photo, Nashville, Tennessee

Let me just say… I’m not a big Country Music fan. However, I still can appreciate good musical talent. On any given night, you can stroll down 2nd Street and Broadway Streets and find the music pouring out of countless bars, all live music. It’s like shopping for your own entertainment, pick the one that sounds the best, and go in. Most of the bars/clubs don’t have a cover charge. The only one we went into that did have one was BB Kings (we got there early enough to avoid it though). If you’re a smoker, you’re sure to find a club that has great music and still allows smoking (completely up to the proprietor). As soon as the sun goes down, the neon lights go on. Just looking up and down the streets is awe inspiring. The scenery is so eclectic… the streets are lined with old buildings with so much character. All of them with route 66 style signs and decorated in their own unique way. Behind these clubs/bars are high rises & sky scrapers. It’s just mesmerizing. After a couple of drinks… walking around can be dangerous… I think I almost fell over a couple of times from looking up instead of at my feet. The best part of downtown Nashville, if you stay in a downtown hotel, all you have to do is walk to the clubs. Our hotel was only four blocks from downtown. Of course, it was always easier to walk to the club than the walk back to the hotel after a few drinks. On the sidewalks you’ll find life sized Elvis statues, guitars and other kinds of musical themed items as conversation pieces. You do come across the frequent homeless person. I was a bit surprised, seeing more homeless around downtown than I have in any other city I have ever visited. We didn’t get bothered by any of them. But, I still wouldn’t venture out alone at night. Just the same, on foot is the best way to get around downtown… as in most cities, parking is a pain in the but! All in all, I was pleasantly surprised. I had a great time, and felt that I saw & did so much in just a few days.