San Diego Stories and Tips

Fine Dining in San Diego

Peohe's Photo, Coronado, California

It is always nice to travel and enjoy a wonderful meal with colleagues, friends or family. San Diego has many outstanding options for visitors. This review is on two that I had the opportunity to experience first hand while attending my ASAE Conference.

Oceanaire Seafood Room
400 J Street
San Diego, CA 92101
PH: 619-858-2277
Web: http://www.theoceanaire.com/Location/Default.aspx?id=6
Reservations Recommended

A friend and I chose this restaurant based on a recommendation from someone working at the Marriott on Harbor Drive. We were definitely NOT disappointed.

As you enter the building and ascend the open air staircase, you can feel the ambience of a first class establishment. Our table was ready at our reserved time, and we were promptly seated. Service was immediate and attentive throughout the evening.

With water glasses filled, it was time to take a look at the extensive menu for the evening dining. Each night the menu is prepared based on the fresh ingredients available to the chef. My choice was easy . . . crab cakes. My friend has an encrusted halibut. All sides and salads are ala carte and large enough to share. We opted for a fresh strawberry and pecan with crumbled blue cheese salad and the garlic mashed potatoes with our entrees. A wonderful loaf of piping hot fresh bread was served before our salad, along with a small relish tray.

Our food was prepared perfectly and simply awesome! Pricing was a bit on the high side, but as a first class restaurant, it was well worth the price paid. My dinner including gratuity was just under $60, with ice tea to drink and no dessert.

Speaking of beverages, they did have a very expansive wine list and a full service bar. I would highly recommend the Oceanaire Seafood Room for anyone visiting San Diego and the Gaslamp District.

Peohe's
1201 First Street
Coronado, CA 92118
PH: 619-437-4474
Web: http://www.peohes.com/home.html
Reservations Recommended

Peohe's is located on Coronado, right at the water taxi dock connecting it to San Diego for an easy $12/person (round trip) ride across the San Diego Bay. It is a wonderful experience that is enhanced by the wonderful view of the San Diego cityscape. Inside, Peohe's takes you to the Polynesian tropics, much like many of the outstanding restaurants in Hawaii.

We were here on a very busy Saturday night. Many arrived disappointed to learn it was a 90 minute wait for anyone without reservations. It was easy to see why this place is so popular. Between the wonderful exotic cocktails and outstanding view, not to mention the gourmet meals, Peohe's was well worth the $50+ price for dinner.

I started my dining experience with their Peohe's Salad that featured orange slices and candied walnuts with a light orange-ginger vinaigrette.

Specializing on seafood, all meals are prepared with only the freshest fish available. For those look for meatier choices, prime steaks are also on the menu. I thoroughly enjoyed my shrimp trio (grilled, coconut and teriyaki) served on a nice bed or wild rice.

While I had no room for dessert, they did have a wonderful offering providing choices that included a fun hot chocolate lava cake prepared with Godiva chocolate liqueur and topped with macadamia nut ice cream.

Peohe's is an experience that I would also highly recommend!