Rockford Stories and Tips

Dining in Rockford

Staying at the Clock Tower Resort on East State Street was very convenient to Sportscore 2. In addition to be centrally located in the "hotel campus area" as the Rockford CVB refers to it, there are as you would expect, A LOT of dining choices in the area.

If you're interested in some of the more well known chains, you will find Applebees, Panera Bread, Dennys, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Outback and Texas Roadhouse all within a couple of miles of the I90/State Street interchange. Of these choices, we did dine at Olive Garden one night. There were eight in our group and unfortunately the quality of the food was unimpressive. Everyone in our group commented that it was unusual to have a poor dining experience at Olive Garden and was willing to chalk it up to the huge soccer crowds there. (We waited an hour for a table on a Monday evening.)

If you're looking for a great burger and/or milk shake, you have to look no further than Red Robin (home of the gourmet burger) or Steak n Shake (home of the steak burger). I love both of these chains and had lunch at each of them once during my six days in Rockford. If you want a great, thick burger with a bottomless basket of steak fries, Red Robin in your choice. Expect to spend right at $10 for your burger & fries.

Steak n Shake is known as a Midwest drive-through that also has diner seating inside. While their prices are a bit lower than Red Robin, that is largely a factor of how much you really get. Their shakes are outstanding, but are also a bit smaller than Red Robins. In fact, when we dine at Red Robins, David and I split a shake. We don't at SnS.

For the most part, we found that this area is going through somewhat of a transition. There were several restaurants that have closed, been sold or simply gone out of business. There was an old Cheddars Restaurant that was boarded up with signage in the parking lot that they were soon going to become a BW3's . . . a favorite dining choice for David and me.

If you’re looking for fast food drive through places like McDonalds or Burger King, you will find them although they are not as conveniently located as the other “real” restaurants. You can also find other dining choices along the Riverside Blvd, including Dairy Queen and Culvers, which are in close proximity to the Sportscore 2 complex.