Lake Lure Stories and Tips

Genny’s Family Restaurant

Inviting on the outside Photo, Lake Lure, North Carolina

Since we didn’t have a lot of room in our cabin for cooking, we decided to eat breakfast out on our last morning. We headed back into Chimney Rock Village and parked in the parking lot. We headed left and went in search of someplace open that we had not been to. As we passed by several closed restaurants I wondered if we would be dining at Laura’s again when I saw the open sign at Genny’s.

We checked in with the hostess and were quickly escorted out on the back deck for riverside dining. They serve guest on either the back deck or inside. On this beautiful holiday morning everyone was enjoying the lovely weather and great views instead of being inside. Almost as soon as we sat down our waitress comes over to get our drink order. I have OJ while John has tea. The breakfast menu includes egg combos, pancakes, French toast, omelets, and breakfast sandwiches. Our waitress quickly returns and I order the 2 pancakes and John orders an egg combo of 2 scrambled eggs, grits, sausage, and a biscuit.

We sat enjoying the view. The building sits right on the bank of the French Broad River that runs through the charming town. If you are at the end of the deck you can also get a view of Chimney Rock. We were on the wrong end for that.

After our waitress takes our order we don’t see anyone but the bus boy for 40 minutes! I guess they were too afraid of coming out since after a while the guests were getting upset. You could hear people complaining and wondering where a waitress was. No one came out for refills on drinks or to assure anyone they had not been forgotten. I see two couples get up and leave the empty table beside of us after getting tired of waiting for a waitress. Finally after 40 minutes one waitress peaks her head out as if she is being turned over to the inquisition and tries to walk though without looking at the customers. John grabs her and inquires about our order. We are told we are waiting on the pancakes. 40 minutes on pancakes? You can make them in an easy bake oven quicker! The whole porch sounds like an uprising as customers are complaining loudly looking for food.

Finally 5 minutes later our food arrives. The waitress plops it in front of us and that is the last we see of her. They seemed to just deliver the food and then leave. John’s tea glass was empty and she never asked if we needed anything else. I finally go inside and ask for a picture of tea. John refills his and then we pass it on to the next table since the waitresses don’t seem to be doing their job. After all this and the wait our food wasn’t that good. My pancakes were flat tasting. John said they apparently don’t believe in seasoning since nothing had flavor to it, his sausage patty was burned, as was half his biscuit.

The place was busy but not over flowing. There are about a dozen and a half booths outside and several of those stayed empty since no one would ever come and wait on those people. And there was no one inside. So why 45 minutes on pancakes and eggs? I haven’t a clue.

The restaurant also has a gift shop and bakery. The gift shop is primarily homemade jellies, jams, and sauces. The bakery has cookies and fudge. Given the uniform size and roundness of the cookies, I imagine they are not handmade and I would bet the fudge isn’t either.

They are open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They are not open on Sundays. There is parking right out front and parking in the village. They are mere steps away from the entrance of Chimney Rock Park. Since I am not recommending the place I didn’t bother to get the hours.

Having been in business since 1976, I would think by now they would have figured out how to run a business. The only redeeming feature here is the view. But it is the same view you can get on the Riverwalk.

While they aren’t many places in town for breakfast, they are not the only ones open. Laura’s House and Fibber McGees are both open and as we left we saw another