Tuscany Stories and Tips

Scooter in Chianti Region, Tuscany, Italy

3 scootering fools Photo, Tuscany, Italy

I found a website that does Tuscany tours on a modern Vespa near Siena, Italy. I thought of how to steal this idea and work it into my travels. I found a great "Drive through the Chianti Countryside" map with sights from the National Geographic Italy tour book. I changed it to a "Scoot through the Chianti Countryside". It was hard to find journals about renting scooters, so I was determined to make one after my trip.

We rented two scooters for 80 euros (not actual Vespas) from Perozzi Rental (Via del Gazzani 16, www.perozzi.it, tel 0577 288387, near main bus stop in Siena). We reserved the scoots the evening before and they simply asked for the drivers license and if we had scooted before.

We took off into the Chianti Region from Siena. We took route SS408 (continued on in a loop to SS222) and made stops in:

1. San Gusme (the cutest walled town you ever did see).
2. Castello di Brolio (owned by the Ricasoli family since the 12th Century).
3. Lunched in Badia a Coltibuono (11th Century abbey now a restaurant/wine cellar).
4. Scooted through Radda in Chianti.
5. Stopped in Castellina in Chianti. A great wine tasting at Mazzei winery, www.mazzei.it, proved to be fantastic and I brought two bottles of wine and olive oil home (termed "scooter wine" and "scooter oil"- thus very precious). My sister was my passenger, so she tasted all eight wines! Please don't drink and scoot!

The countryside was fantastic. The roads were well maintained with many curves and many cyclists were present as well. It was a beautiful scoot that lasted all day, about 50 miles. We went in mid May, and wore jeans and tees. It was perfect weather and a perfect day. I think being a Tuesday was great and there was hardly any traffic and no crazy drivers. I owned a scoot before this trip so I had recent scoot time under my belt. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Take an international drivers license and a credit card to rent, and a back pack to carry back your wine.