Kisoro Stories and Tips

Kisoro

Kisoro Photo, Kisoro, Uganda

This town in the southwest of Uganda is fairly non-descript and tourists only tend to come here on their way to trekking to see the mountain gorillas. However, the scenery around the town is spectacular with extinct volcanoes making up the mountain range that soars above the town. To reach the town involves a drive over the mountains from Kabale along a road that has steep climbs and descents as well as sheer drops. There are amazing views on the way but it can be a terrifying journey hurtling along this road. There is a regular bus linking Kampala, Kabale and Kisoro, as well as matatus.

I was quite disappointed as I had a bad chest infection while I was in Kisoro and was unable to do a lot of things. I did visit the market in the town, which was quite interesting with people coming in from the surrounding countryside as well as crossing the border from Rwanda. The market is dominated with vegetables and imported second-hand clothing, as well as the basics required for life. I also attended a service in the cathedral (which is Church of Uganda -Anglican) on the Sunday morning and it went on for several hours with amazing singing, clapping, and drumming as they worshipped in African style.

I was disappointed not to trek up to the summit of one of the extinct volcanoes above the town which some of the rest of the people I was travelling with did.

The town has several hotels that cater for tourists in the town, and some also have restaurants. There is also a small Internet 'café' in the town, but we never used it due to a couple of power cuts. The main street is quite wide with a grass centre, and there are several small shops lining the street, including those selling traditional material and the opportunity to have an outfit made. The bakery in the town has reasonable bread available - I enjoyed the little fluffy and slightly sweet rolls.

My favourite buy in the town was honey - there is a local beekeeper association who has a shop near the Agip fuel station. The honey is incredible and comes in several varieties including a creamed and euchalyptus which we bought and were luscious.