Chester Stories and Tips

Wilders Restaurant Coolidge Historic Site

Dining room Photo,

Originally built as a tavern in about 1830 the Wilder House was the home of Calvin Coolidge’s Mother Victoria Josephine Moor and it was there that she married the future president’s father in 1868. Her sister and her husband lived here while Calvin was growing up. It was turned into a coffee shop in 1956 and today it is painted the same color mustard yellow that it was in 1923 when Calvin became the president of the United States.

There is no tour of the house and I suppose that is because there is nothing of a family house left to it. We walked in through the front door which takes you by the kitchen and through to the dining area. Were we welcomed and told to pick a table. When we arrived there was only one other table occupied but it wasn’t long before we had more company.

This is a simple restaurant and as we walked in we saw a blackboard on the wall with food items listed. Some were breakfast items and others were lunch. We didn’t realize that they had a printed menu, we were never offered one but later after some of the other tables had filled up we saw that they were given menus. I suppose it really didn’t matter too much because we were not here to have a big meal but rather to have a snack.

Among the offerings were ham and tuna sandwiches, grilled cheese, hotdogs, peanut butter and jelly and a fresh fruit platter with cottage cheese. On this particular Saturday they were offering corn chowder as the soup. I decided to have a cup of soup and a serving of rhubarb cobbler with vanilla ice cream. Al had bread pudding. The bread that is used here is from Baba Louis bakery in Chester and everybody was raving about it. We asked for water and the only water available is bottled not tap.

My soup came with a cup full of very good crackers. The soup was chunky with potatoes and carrots as well as corn. It was very good.

The cobbler was chunks of rhubarb covered with a crumbly sweet topping. It was a little sweeter than I like but it was still very good and there is no extra charge for the ice cream. Al’s bread pudding is redolent with cinnamon and also with ice cream. Mine was served warm his was served cold. Our whole little treat stop costed $9.85. All the desserts here are homemade on site and they really taste it.

This is the only game in town but it was worth stopping.