South America Stories and Tips

Falkland Islands

Welcome to windy Falkland Islands, South America Photo,

A tender was needed to land at the capital Port Stanley, Falkland Islands. There are frequent winter gales, 80-foot waves and treacherous reefs and hundreds of wrecks along the coast. A memorial stands high above the harbor to commemorate those sailors lost at sea.

The currents were so strong that tendering was delayed several hours which cut short our stay. After being asked why are you going to the Falkland Islands, I was curious about this windy and desolate area of the world. I found it fascinating port.

The wind was quite severe but died down in the late afternoon as I walked around the island. It was summertime, a bright and sunny day with temperature in the 50's and a constant wind.

I really would have loved a little more time to explore the area high up in the hills.

The Falklands are 350 mile east of Tierra del Fuego and northeast of Cape Horn. There are more than 700 small islands. This territory is British dependent and the residents are mostly British and Scottish. Only after the 1982 conflict with Argentina did anyone ever hear of the Falklands. The main street consists of several stores and residences in the British style. A very interesting Anglican church, Christ Church Cathedral had kneeling pews covered with needle work of the local church members. A very helpful and friendly volunteer at the church answered any questions.

A British style pub the Globe Tavern advertised great fish and chips. We have had much better and were very disappointed bur still enjoyed the pub atmosphere. There were several other restaurants but all closed as Boxer Day was being celebrated.

I dropped into a hotel and inquired if anyone came to the Falklands but the cruise ships. "Oh yes," explained the lady, many people that come here are serious bird watchers. There are many varieties of birds as well as penguins. The land is rugged and not particularly attractive but I was intrigued. Since the island is in such a remote part of the world it is unlikely I would get there again but I highly recommend a visit if in the neighborhood.