Lanuza Stories and Tips

Lanuza Surfing

Crossing the Delta Photo,

My buds and I decided to do a road trip for this Holy Week. Early morning of Maundy Thursday, we set of for Surigao del Sur. Our target was to go around the CANCARMADCARLAN (Cantilan, Carmen, Madrid, Carascal and Lanuza) network.

By Black Saturday, we decided to check Lanuza out and see how fare their surfing rates. After asking around, we ended up in Lanuza Bay Surfing Company. Their room rates were pretty reasonable. P200/head for the dormitory rooms, and P450 for twin sharing. Their surfing rates aren’t that bad either, at P200/hour for an instructor and P250/day surf board rental.

They made surfboards from the local tree Amakan which costs P3,500/sq foot. Some of those Lanuza-made beauts are exported to California even! Proudly Pinoy-made surf boards.

Anyway, I had first dibs trying the surf board as we crossed the delta to the beach. Lying prone on the board while maintaining balance was not easy during the first time. It kept tilting precariously. But once I got the hang of it, I was able to traverse the delta by paddling. When I got to the other side, I could already feel the adrenaline pumping. When I saw the waves racing to the shore, I was ready to hang ten. Or at least try to.

Philip and Ilongo were the instructors assigned to our group of seven. I was instructed first. I just had to do what I did crossing the delta. Paddle. When a good wave came, Philip gave me the initial push and shouted, “padol!” and paddle I did.

It seemed like I was the most excited about surfing, as I did not stop trying to stand on the board for the two hours we were on the beach. The other guys would take breaks or pass the board to another. I kept going at it non-stop.

Despite my tremendous effort, I could not stand up from the short board though I was already able to more or less determine a good wave to ride. Until Philip told me it would be easier using the long board. Once I was able to exchange the short board I was using with the long board, Philip helped me launch. A good wave came. I was able to stand for two seconds. Woohoo! The adrenaline just kept pumping harder after that. I only stopped trying when all the other six people were already on the shore resting.

After everyone had taken their baths, all the bruises and body aches started to come out. I had a cut on my chin, bruises on my pelvis, thigh, knees and right elbow. Despite all that, I was perfectly satisfied with the day. It was a good end to our long break. And at the back of my head, I was thinking, I can try this again!

This November 20-25, they will have the 3rd International Longboard Invitational and the 5th National Surfing Open. Contact Poktoy Palm Haven at 09064413025 for accommodations and details.