San Diego Stories and Tips

Wining and Dining Southern California Style

Sunset at Cardiff-by-the-Sea Photo, San Diego, California

During my week long trip to San Diego, I was able to take in several local establishments, from San Diego north to Cardiff. This review is a summary of the highlights a couple of the places Susi and I had the pleasure of experiencing.

The Field Authentic Irish Pub & Restaurant
544 Fifth Avenue
San Diego, CA

We had a big group get together for dinner and adult beverages during our conference in San Diego. This restaurant did a wonderful job of accommodating our group and providing outstanding service, food and drink! I had an Irish stew (of course) that seemed to be from an authentic recipe direct from Ireland. The meat and vegetables were tender and delicious! This restaurant is located in the Gaslamp Quarter and is about four or five blocks from the San Diego Convention Center.

Lou & Mickey's
224 Fifth Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101

Located at the entrance to the Gaslamp Quarter on Fifth Street is Lou and Mickey's. While they are primarily known as an outstanding seafood and steak restaurant, we stopped in to sample their "exotic" cocktails. I had the "Horny Monkey": a blend of vodka, coconut, banana, and pineapple juice that they advertise "will have you swinging from the trees." My friend Susi had the "Witch Doctor": "a devilish twist of banana, fruit juices, and a blend of four island rums."

Attached to this review is a photo of us enjoying the libations. Don't we look like we're having fun? Check out Lou and Mickey's at www.louandmickeys.com.

Cardiff Beach House
2530 S. Hwy. 101
Cardiff, CA

Driving up the Pacific Coast, I settled in on this restaurant located right on the beach. Patrons have the option of dining in or out on the patio with the sea breeze whipping your hair. The waves rolled and added atmosphere as they crashed on the shore.

As I watched the dinners of others pass my table, I found myself very intrigued by the preparation and presentation of each meal. I selected the Pacific Prawns, a jumbo shrimp stuffed with lobster and crab and broiled to perfection. The meal was accompanied by steamed mixed veggies and a potato casserole that was simply wonderful! Salad was à la carte here, so expect to add a few bucks if you enjoy a good salad before your meal.

I would venture to guess that this would be an outstanding restaurant for the special romantic dinner for two. Unfortunately, I was traveling solo, so no candles and romance for me on this night.

NOTE: Because of very limited parking, they do utilize valet parking, which also adds $3 (plus tip) for your dining experience.