Minneapolis Stories and Tips

MOA Amusement Park

Mall of America Park Carousel Photo, Bloomington, Minnesota

As part of the Mall of America in Minneapolis, this bright indoor amusement park has rides for kids ages four to mid teens. There is one roller coaster that seemed to be a pretty decent ride, but since we had just had lunch we passed. Many of the rides seemed too close together for my liking. I don’t know that I would have enjoyed spinning or flipping or going down a river canal feeling like I might be ejected into the neighboring ride.

Make no mistake about it, kids were having fun! You could hear their laughter and shrill screams throughout the place. Older kids like young teenagers seemed to also enjoy hanging out with their buds, although there wasn’t that typical mall feeling of mall rats taking over the place. I think MOA security does a good job of making sure people stay on good behavior while here in this family oriented area. And speaking of families, I was impressed to see that they had two child care areas where you could drop off younger kids to have professional babysitting while moms and dads enjoyed the rides or other activities with kids old enough to have fun.

All of the rides are priced based on points. The higher the points, the more costly is that ride. Individual point tickets are available as well as in point packages. A five point roller coaster would cost you approximately $4 at the 80 cents per point base price. For just $24.95 you can ride all you can ride, as many rides as you’d like for as many times as you can handle in one day. Season passes are also available: $79.95 for kids shorter than 47" and $99.95 for all who are four feet tall or more.

Post Script: I had always heard and thought I knew this park to be called "Camp Snoopy" but wasn't sure why there were no references to that name anywhere in the Mall. Some Internet research did turn up that this amusement park was known as Camp Snoopy but no longer. I am guessing that is due to one of two reasons: (1) Knotts decided not to renew their naming sponsorship agreement and when Pepsi stepped up, a name change was in order . . . or (2) Camp Snoopy sounded to juvenile for the target audience that MOA wanted to appeal to.

Then I found this piece on The Onion's Web site and the mystery was solved . . . www.theonion.com/content/node/31031. Good for a nice belly laugh, but that's about all.

I guess I'm sticking to explanations 1 or 2 above.